• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New radio from ranger

On transportation rules or any other Civil or Federal crimes and violations, yes.

... [ ... ] ...

Other than that, listening to an Amateur radio station isn't illegal and an officer would have to prove you were transmitting on it like that's really going to happen. The FCC doesn't have rulings against owning an Amateur radio to be used for listening purposes, only transmitting it without the proper license.

The type acceptance issue is one that the FCC still leaves subject to interpretation unlike the illegal use of amplifiers on CB's which is cut and dry for even possessing an amp capable of operating between 24 and 144 Mhz without a valid Amateur license. Even still, it isn't up to a DOT officer which is the point here to interpret what is or isn't.

Therefore, there is really nothing a DOT officer or other officer can because you aren't out of any compliance listening with an Amateur radio.

Ok, then this falls on you - for what you are telling the rest of us - those that use non-type accepted Galaxy 10 meter, RCI 29050s', or any 10-meter equipment as their only source of communications within the 11 meter CB band. They're perfectly ok...

So again the double speak - you say if you don't have a license you can still own it and listen to it - but what you did not say was TRANSMIT on it.

So you're telling the rest of us, that having it as the only radio in the truck - even though it's 10 meter and has been converted to 11 meter - it's perfectly ok to use. Because you are going to tell them that you never transmitted on it and you use it for listening.

Oh, ok..

So you're telling the rest of us, that having it as the only radio in the truck - even though it's 10 meter and has been converted to 11 meter - it's perfectly ok to use. Because you are going to tell them that you never transmitted on it and you use it for listening.

Might be believable if there is no mic for it in the truck. Then you really can't talk on it.
But I am betting there is a microphone :)

Nothing wrong with having it in the truck and using the microphone only in an emergency. I know I'd rather have it than not.

Export radios are not FCC approved for CB, but can nonetheless transmit on CB frequencies. That alone is a violation. The problem is, there is no enforcement mechanism given to the DOT anywhere I can see. It's certainly not in the FMCSA.

The Federal government did give states the right to make laws regarding interference caused by CB operation, but that would vary by state, and as far as I know, no states are really doing much about it. Especially now that people don't watch VHF television, or use 11 meters for baby monitors and such.

If a DOT officer really wanted to be a dick, I guess he could call an FCC field office and report you, but the chances are, they aren't going to take the time out of their day to come do anything to a truck driver with an export radio.

When I drove truck, I never once heard even a fish tale, as drivers are wont to tell, about anyone getting in trouble by the DOT for an export radio, or an amplifier. Granted, I haven't driven truck for 15 years, but I doubt things have changed.

I own a truck and I’ve been stopped several times, I’ve never had one yet ask about my radio. I run an S9 in my truck, have for the last 14 years that I’ve owned the truck. I also live in Hickville USA so maybe that has something to do with it?

As a side note and probably nothing to do with this, HG is putting out the 1969, 2312 and 2166 transistor now? I got an email from one of my wholesalers today and was told they were ordering them today. I guess that’s nice to know, I can fix another export to run illegally, haha.

Back on track, I did an install in a DOT Tahoe last year for a CB radio. I put a Wilson 5000 mag mount on the roof and a Galaxy 88. So I don’t t see how they could bust someone when they’re running them too.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
... As a side note and probably nothing to do with this, HG is putting out the 1969, 2312 and 2166 transistor now? ....

If you wind up getting these be sure to give us some kind of a review, be nice to have drop in replacements to keep the old radios going.

PS: You don't have to reply here, don't want to hijack this thread too much.;)

I don't think they have the authority. It would be like your state police arresting someone for being in the country illegally. They have no authority to do that unless there is an enforcement mechanism given to them in the law. The enforcement of anything regarding communication devices, other than interference with other devices, is the sole realm of the FCC.

I will.

No they don’t have the authority but more important is they don’t care. They can’t take your money like that, they make theirs off weigh tickets and out of compliance.

Reactions: PoDuck
I still have an HOS violation and speeding ticket I got in Wyoming in 2003 that I never paid. Good thing the chances of me getting pulled over in Wyoming ever again are slim to none.

Ok, then this falls on you - for what you are telling the rest of us - those that use non-type accepted Galaxy 10 meter, RCI 29050s', or any 10-meter equipment as their only source of communications within the 11 meter CB band. They're perfectly ok...

So again the double speak - you say if you don't have a license you can still own it and listen to it - but what you did not say was TRANSMIT on it.

Oh, ok..

I'm not getting into that debate.

The whole post I wrote was in the context of a DOT officer trying to cite a driver or make a driver complaint, not A FCC debate of what radio is legal or not.That issue has way been beat to death on this forum

With all the likes I got on my long post that rebutted yours, everybody else got it.

I NEVER said any of that whether it's ok to use a Galaxy 10 meter radio. .

I said LISTENING doesn't violate any laws any jurisdictional of state, county, and local law enforcement to have one of those or any other amateur radio for listening. Nor does having one in your possession! Even transmitting on one doesn't violate any of those jurisdictions for that matter either! Just Uncle Charlie will want to have a chat with you!

I was also using your belief as an example that if a DOT officer was to try and hold someone in compliance, there would have to be proof that the radio was being transmitted on.

Again, The point is it isn't up to a DOT officer to determine if the radio you have is compliant. Those Galaxy radio's say right on the box and also a sticker on the top cover "Amateur radio" and a license is required to transmit.

If the extreme likelihood I was ever questioned by any non FCC agent and had a Galaxy 10 meter radio, I would simply say I like to listen to it but I don't transmit on it.

As for type accepted radios and a DOT man at the chicken coop???

How would they know? Why would they know? Their job is commercial vehicle safety and enforcement, not radio enforcement.

That is the job if the FCC.

I'll say it again, until the FCC gives ANY radio enforcement powers to state,county, and local authorities, There is nothing any of them can do about it.

Just remember when you visit the DOT, they remember US too. You're not alone in this but what I am amazed at is the level of Arrogance when it comes to how people play this game.

Do you have HAZ-MAT endorsement?

Years ago, they, the DOT had their hands full with de-regulation.

They got better at it, it's not you they are after - unless you are an independent - then you know where I'm coming from - they're after the CARRIERS. Many a carrier company bailed out on their own hired workers - now it's pretty much a "Contract work" shop - so when someone messes with the trucks - the responsibility is placed on the operator not the company.

So even though us "company drivers" haul using the trucks they supply us, we are left in the middle of a bigger problem you haven't touched on yet - I was trying to address it - but forget it.

You don't seem to understand that what Amateur radio did by removing Code from the No-Code tech licenses they (whomever wrote up these addendums to it) also made changes to how Federal and State work together in handling interference complaints. State level can treat interference issues as harassment now, no longer required to be given to the FCC in regards to personal conduct - the individual is at fault more than the equipment they use to generate the problem.

So many that think the FCC isn't going to do anything is forgetting the changes in the laws. IF someone were to be interfering with other stations - the one being interfered with has several more enforceable options including harassment, stalking and personal protection and libel. It's not he FCC - the FCC may the last line of DEFENSE to protect you.

You're looking at the problem the wrong way.

FCC got tired of chasing after those that did others wrong - because when it came to communications the FCC was the Umbrella for the whole mess. You had to go through the FCC in order to resolve anything caused by one human mistreating another on the radio, TV or phone - now, you don't have to. Just record and let the State police or even local enforcement take on the challenge. If you caused damages, you can be held liable for the interference because you caused it, not your equipment - you have to prove yourself as not responsible for being the one to cause it, now.

Didn't you just read the posts about "Blue waffle" - you may want to review the operation that got him caught. Because if you don't, the whole thing I've mentioned about the DOT is not going to save you because you don't lose your equipment to them, you lose it to those you interfere with. The DOT becomes the "witness" for you, or to those that get harassed - so if you take on the attitude of arrogance - they whom are responsible for your DOT records can leave behind a trail of breadcrumbs for other officers to follow - if it goes too far and some company that has to do business with simple equipment and can't because of the bad operator, can use that data (interference) as a means to show just cause to open an investigation on a local level. To be fair, everyone gets stopped...again, you aren't the problem unless you give them an attitude.

You are identified by your carrier, the DOT numbers on your truck. IF you are stopped they run you thru the system - and hence the reference to the Red-light inspections. Because of the complaint, they (mobiles or the guards at the shack) identify the truck by the carrier emblazoned on the sides and the DOT thru the registry number - you aren 't the problem until your actions, like you listed above, are demonstrated to the DOT officer. They just have to make a note and you can wind up being stopped at every scalehouse because they feel you're a risk - because they flagged your Speedpass and - well I guess you'll need to "stop by more often - we like you..." is the response you'll get.

I apologize to everyone here if this message seems too strongly worded - I got raked over coals in the trucking industry because I dealt with shoddy works performed by contract workers at the terminals I route thru. So yes, the DOT seems mean, so does the FCC - but they've (both) seen and dealt with meaner people. They aren't after the ones that use radio to perform their work, they after the people that purposely and intentionally violate laws - they fit a profile of those that can be a danger and interference is a small matter compared to the individuals ability to do some massive damages with the bigger stuff they have a license to use. Hence - Complaince

"Until the FCC gives any kind of radio enforcement powers to state, local and DOT officers, there is nothing they can do about it!!!"

House/Senate Bill 2346 (Public Law 106-521) Enacted 11.22.2000

SECTION 1. STATE AND LOCAL ENFORCEMENT OF FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION REGULATIONS ON USE OF CITIZENS BAND RADIO EQUIPMENT. Section 302 of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 302a) is amended by adding at the end the following: ‘‘(f)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), a State or local government may enact a statute or ordinance that prohibits a violation of the following regulations of the Commission under this section: ‘‘(A) A regulation that prohibits a use of citizens band radio equipment not authorized by the Commission. ‘‘(B) A regulation that prohibits the unauthorized operation of citizens band radio equipment on a frequency between 24 MHz and 35 MHz.

continuing: Commercial Vehicle exemption to State/Local enforcement:

‘‘(7) The enforcement of a statute or ordinance by a State or local government under paragraph (1) with regard to citizens band radio equipment on board a ‘commercial motor vehicle’, as defined in section 31101 of title 49, United States Code, shall require probable cause to find that the commercial motor vehicle or the individual operating the vehicle is in violation of the regulations described in paragraph (1).’

Footnotes to Bill:. Fundamentally, the bill is an effort to help eliminate the practices of the few CB radio users that have chosen to take advantage of the unlicensed nature of CB radios to operate outside the boundaries of the FCC rules. When some people choose not to follow those rules, unexpected and potentially harmful interference can result for users of other services....
The bill before us would protect the American public by allowing local law enforcement officials to enforce existing FCC rules regarding CB radios. Victims of this type of harassment can be given assistance by local authorities to shut down these rogue operators.

The Senate has made minor changes to the bill which clarify it and which take care of some concerns of the truckers who, as my colleagues know, use CBs very heavily. They were worried about perhaps being harassed by improper use of this law, but we have taken care of that. I believe it is now in very, very good shape and will serve the purpose for which it was intended.

So the possibility is there for Individual States/Local Gov. Groups to act and has been tested in court in Indiana and Mich. to shut down specific operators due to what was considered Harassment to other individuals due to operation what was considered outside FCC rules for that radio service.

I am NOT a LAWYER or claim to understand...I did know the Operator in Indianapolis who was Indianapolis Circuit Court (I believe) ordered to cease operation of his station due to above. Harassment Complaint by Neighbors (He ran Amateur equip/Amps on 11m) and it was upheld in appeal, after FCC inspection of complaint...

All the Best
Gary

Sorry Guys did not mean to further HYJACK the thread...just responding to a portion of the thread!

Reactions: Riverman
There's a big difference between being known to harass people on the air and simply having a radio in your truck when you get pulled in for a DOT inspection, I've never even heard of anyone having a problem with the DOT because of an export radio.

Was thinkin reply,set on side,uhh get skidloader out n sweep up bs or move along.
As for clean sheets thats interesting companys often tell you pack a sleeping bag.
Radios illegal ,i was stopped in kansas (if your a true driver kansas dot is self explanitory) officer climbed up on my steps looked inside n said lay your coat on your pistol.they just passed open carry.he said my young partner is too gungho n im not interested in settin here an hour while they run a serial number on your pistol.
Then he said OH A DELTA FORCE can you show me what we did wrong with the 1 in our pickup? So i went n showed him he pushed call n was on h band.
Im sure they moniter us on all bands but they had no idea how to use it or was jackin with me.showed em my log book n insurance papers,load bills.they both looked n said here is your papers have a safe day.i said same to you.never was bothered by them

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.