• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ranger Professional PPR-TLM1 *Review*

What exactly deems this radio worthy of the "professional" name?

The primary "professionals" (non hobbyists) using this type radio these days are truck drivers and I assure you I wouldn't want to pass Johnny Bigrig rolling down the road playing with the ridiculous display on this radio.

What exactly deems this radio worthy of the "professional" name?

The primary "professionals" (non hobbyists) using this type radio these days are truck drivers and I assure you I wouldn't want to pass Johnny Bigrig rolling down the road playing with the ridiculous display on this radio.
The fine job of silk screening.:pop: oh and how it stands up to dust as seen in it's close up shots.

Hey, at least they're trying something new instead of just refacing the same old product. I don't really understand why Ranger thinks anyone would want to use their CB to listen to MP3's on a crappy CB speaker, but I'll try to keep an open mind ;) I could see some appeal for big LCD meters from some folks. It'll be interesting to see how well this sells.

well, actually, they are not trying anything new. the TFT display on an overpriced, 30-year-old-technology piece of junk is a total waste of time and money. i'm done with CB's & exports, and ranger really doesn't have anything that piques my interest. magnum is the only export that even slightly does-they have a few ideas on both their pll-controlled radios & cpu-controlled radios-it just doesn't 'close the deal'. ALL CB's & exports for the most part are antiques technologically, and i do understand there is no reason to modernize them based on the amount sold of what trash they are producing. but come on guys, if you're going to build a radio that covers 25.xxx-30+ mhz, why in god's name don't you just move it down another 40 channels or so to cover 12m??? limit the non-SSB radios, and remove the stupid toys from the SSB radios, and replace the toys with something more useful. anything. as for the ppr-tlm1.......forget it.

What does this thing cost?

And yes I'm well aware that the professional name is worth an extra $50.

Hey, at least they're trying something new instead of just refacing the same old product. could see some appeal for big LCD meters from some folks. It'll be interesting to see how well this sells.

Agreed, But as Stonecrusher says,"the rest is antique technology."

To me the manufacturers are in a no-win situation. If they build a CB using SMT technology, most CB techs won't (or can't) work on them. The 25-30 Mhz all-mode sets are illegal to sell if they are easily converted to 11 meter operation, and if the manufaturers make them unconvertible, the hams won't buy them because they look like a CB. SO... what are they gonna do ? Obviously, cater to their biggest market and build AM-only sets with a lot of toys and sell them to the truckers. Since these guys are professional drivers, then these are professional CBs to them.

Last edited:
your articles and reviews are much appreciated CBRM . this particular radio though ........
well , just dont take it as a personal slam . its a gimmick radio IMO , but i still appreciate your efforts to tell us about it and as always i look forward to your future reviews .

BTW , at one point on your site you said a uniden grant review was comming up but it never did . is it still on the to do list or did it get canned ?

Yeah, I think this radio might be appreciated by new CB'ers more than the experienced ones. The TFT screen and what it can do is 'nifty'; but can it do enough to support the expenditure for a mere AM/only radio? I'd take one if someone gave it to me; but I don't think I'd buy it - with so little attention paid to the radio side of the thing. Changing the screen to provide different types of S/RF meters is nice - but is it really a 'one-trick pony'? The article is informative...

Or put another way: "Where's the Beef?"

BTW-BootyMon is right about the article on the Grant XL - when are you going to post it?

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback on the article everyone!

I would definitely agree with everyone that this radio is not marketed to the 20 year veteran CBer's out there or those who also hold their license.

While the radio may not appeal to those who run the higher end exports or to ham or CB operators who use high end amatuer equipment there are quite a few people who these types of radios do appeal to.

When I did my review on the Cobra Bluetooth radio, like many operators I considered adding features like that as more a novelty item but I was surprised when testing the unit that it actually worked very well and was quite handy - I was even more surprised to find that it was one of the top selling radios for Cobra this last year. Many drivers and new CBer's were very interested in that model.

Now I'd love to see a very high end CB radio with SMT technology, proper filtering along with many of the other features I have on my ham equipment, but as another member mentioned previously it's just not feasible and no one would spend $1000 on a high end CB.

The truth behind all of this is that CB Manufacturers know their markets quite well (there's a reason the companies that are still around have survived the introduction of the cell phone and other electronic devices).

I have no problem with CB radio companies marketing new features or equipment to new segments of the population. As the radio hobby declines I think getting any new person interested in our hobby is a good thing and whether that is accomplished through the addition of Bluetooth technology or TFT screens it ends up benefiting us all in the long run.

While some people do refer to models such as this as "junk" I don't think those references take into consideration the intended markets and don't put the radio into a frame of reference. Compared to most ham equipment just about every CB radio could be considered junk.

I think the main thing to do is keep these kinds of thing in perspective :)

I love radios of all types and enjoying doing articles that spread the word about the hobby. The TFT display was quite a kick to mess around with and the meters were larger and easier to read than most other CB radios. Maybe that's not the only reason to run out and buy one, but there are definitely people that will enjoy this radio.

OH - and the Grant XL article did get put aside for a little while but we will eventually get it finished..sorry about that :)

Last edited:
...OH - and the Grant XL article did get put aside for a little while but we will eventually get it finished..sorry about that :)

Great! I know I will be looking forward to it - since I aquired a broken one at a hamfest a couple of months back. Really, an impressive radio when I fixed it. Also - maybe a paralell to the Cobra 148GTL can be made to it...

Great review and some good points in rebuttal to the comments of those who have not tried the radio. As you point out, the CB business is a niche market and the manufacturers obviously know what sells or they would not be in business. Couple that with the unpredictability of the FCC and it is easy to understand why updated technology is not incorporated into present day CBs.

Also, word I hear is that the software is being updated and additional features will be added to the TFT menu. The software version of the CBs can be upgraded through the USB port, so even models with the old software can be upgraded.

Thank you for the feedback on the article everyone!

I would definitely agree with everyone that this radio is not marketed to the 20 year veteran CBer's out there or those who also hold their license.

While the radio may not appeal to those who run the higher end exports or to ham or CB operators who use high end amatuer equipment there are quite a few people who these types of radios do appeal to.

When I did my review on the Cobra Bluetooth radio, like many operators I considered adding features like that as more a novelty item but I was surprised when testing the unit that it actually worked very well and was quite handy - I was even more surprised to find that it was one of the top selling radios for Cobra this last year. Many drivers and new CBer's were very interested in that model.

Now I'd love to see a very high end CB radio with SMT technology, proper filtering along with many of the other features I have on my ham equipment, but as another member mentioned previously it's just not feasible and no one would spend $1000 on a high end CB.

The truth behind all of this is that CB Manufacturers know their markets quite well (there's a reason the companies that are still around have survived the introduction of the cell phone and other electronic devices).

I have no problem with CB radio companies marketing new features or equipment to new segments of the population. As the radio hobby declines I think getting any new person interested in our hobby is a good thing and whether that is accomplished through the addition of Bluetooth technology or TFT screens it ends up benefiting us all in the long run.

While some people do refer to models such as this as "junk" I don't think those references take into consideration the intended markets and don't put the radio into a frame of reference. Compared to most ham equipment just about every CB radio could be considered junk.

I think the main thing to do is keep these kinds of thing in perspective :)

I love radios of all types and enjoying doing articles that spread the word about the hobby. The TFT display was quite a kick to mess around with and the meters were larger and easier to read than most other CB radios. Maybe that's not the only reason to run out and buy one, but there are definitely people that will enjoy this radio.

OH - and the Grant XL article did get put aside for a little while but we will eventually get it finished..sorry about that :)

Got a sample last night from Ranger. I like the TFT screen. Will test it out over the weekend, but seems like it has a good receiver out of the box. If it could just filter out the broadcasts by the knuckleheads I would be happy.

Forgot to mention that there is a new Connex coming out. Looks great from the pictures I saw. Should get a sample for testing next week.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.