• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ranger RCI2995 DXHP Home base station

Miura

Feb 7, 2022
A few days ago I purchased the new Ranger RCI 2995 DX HP from a store in the US and started to use the radio today. I previously owned à RCI 2995 DX CF (same radio but less Watt output). My first conclusion It that the HP is massively powerful 350W PEP SSB & AM and 70W AM-FM average. I just had to open the radio, push the switch of the internal power supply to 220V for the U.K. and swap the external 7amp fuse for a 3amp one. Everything now works as it should, it is bang on frequency on receive and transmit. Sound is crystal clear and volume very powerful. Only strange thing compared to my previous 2995 DXCF is the RF gain knob that needs to be turned counterclockwise all the way back to 3-4 to obtain roughly the same receive I had on my previous radio with the dial set to 8-9. otherwise squelch becomes ineffective unless set to max. Has anyone experienced that kind of very strong reception on those radios?

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpeg
    IMG_2273.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9042.jpeg
    IMG_9042.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 39

I also noticed something a bit strange on the second photo that shows the internals, etc. it looks like one of the boards is bent where the "header pins" attach to the front panel display?…I don’t see how I could rectify that since the pins are straight but seem a tad too long. For reference I will post pictures of my “old” 2995 dxcf which has basically the same board and one can see that the pins seem shorter and slightly bent to one side to allow the display board to be flat…

Attachments

• IMG_9047.jpeg
    IMG_9047.jpeg
    692.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9046.jpeg
    IMG_9046.jpeg
    909.4 KB · Views: 15
one of the boards is bent
This is exactly the reason I will NEVER buy another Ranger product. My 2970 had bent circuit boards in it too, and as you can imagine they caused all kinds of problems, including having to warm up the radio for 30 minutes before it would receive due to bad and stressed solder joints !

I also noticed something a bit strange on the second photo that shows the internals, etc. it looks like one of the boards is bent where the "header pins" attach to the front panel display?…I don’t see how I could rectify that since the pins are straight but seem a tad too long. For reference I will post pictures of my “old” 2995 dxcf which has basically the same board and one can see that the pins seem shorter and slightly bent to one side to allow the display board to be flat…
It looks odd but it's probably electronically fine.

Strangely I have been told that all those new HP radios come like this from factory. It is also worth knowing that some do not remember (memory retention problem) the last channel you were operating the radio on before switching it off. When switched back on, mine automatically reverts to 27,215. No big deal but annoying.

Strangely I have been told that all those new HP radios come like this from factory. It is also worth knowing that some do not remember (memory retention problem) the last channel you were operating the radio on before switching it off. When switched back on, mine automatically reverts to 27,215. No big deal but annoying.
I just heard that same thing about the memory.

Do not know if it will help, but on my 2970 when you change the channel you need to key the mic for the radio to remember that channel. If you do not key up and turn the radio off, it will not be on that channel the next time you turn it on.

Do not know if it will help, but on my 2970 when you change the channel you need to key the mic for the radio to remember that channel. If you do not key up and turn the radio off, it will not be on that channel the next time you turn it on.
Mine forgets the channel it was on regardless of it being keyed or not ☹️

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.