• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Rig for the Jeep

Codejockey

KF5CKB
Jul 21, 2009
www.armedtexan.com
Well, I've been researching radios for my Jeep. I'm keeping the VX-8, but I want a more permanent mobile radio to use in the Jeep. I've got it narrowed down to the following three models. I'd like your opinion as to which one seems better. Also, I'm open to other suggestions around this price range if anyone has one.

ICom 208H
Yaesu FT-7900R
Yaesu FTM-10R

I welcome any opinions. My budget for this is around 300, so I'm more than happy to entertain other radios in this price range. I plan to order this on Friday. I have been looking for used radios, but so far I've come up short. These all seem to be solid contendors except that none of them have cross-band repeat, which I'd like. But The FTM-10R does have an audio input jack, so in theory I could connect it to my VX-8R and listen on one band while transmitting on another. Anyway, let me know your thoughts please.

I think you'll be happy with either the Icom 208H or the Yaesu FT 7900. If there is any way that you go to a shop to play with them both before making your decision, that would be best. If crossband repeat is important to you, it might be worth trying to find a used Yaesu FT-8800. They are a little more than your budget when purchased new, but I bet you could find a used one that would let you get it in your Jeep.

That Yaesu FT-10R is a cool little radio also. If you are going to have the top off on your jeep and be in an environment where it could get wet, then that is the radio for you. I played with that one a bit at Dayton, and it is really neat for a rugged / all weather type of environmment!

I think you'll be happy with either the Icom 208H or the Yaesu FT 7900. If there is any way that you go to a shop to play with them both before making your decision, that would be best. If crossband repeat is important to you, it might be worth trying to find a used Yaesu FT-8800. They are a little more than your budget when purchased new, but I bet you could find a used one that would let you get it in your Jeep.

That Yaesu FT-10R is a cool little radio also. If you are going to have the top off on your jeep and be in an environment where it could get wet, then that is the radio for you. I played with that one a bit at Dayton, and it is really neat for a rugged / all weather type of environmment!

That is one of my main concerns is that I will definitely be in environments where dust / rain will be possible. I played with a guy's FTM-10r for a bit, and it seems great. Plus, they are offering a free mic with it (it uses the built in mic normally). I really think thats the radio for me. I'd love to find an 8800 or 8900, but I've been unable to find one anywhere used.

Codejockey....
Under any other circumstances I would say Icom all the way, but if this radio is going into an open top Jeep that will be hitting dusty trails, and get splashed or rained on, then I'd have to say the Yaesu FTM-10R all the way.

Obviously D-Star is not a factor, and crossband repeat is not something you'll find a whole lot of use for in a traveling radio, so I would deffinitely go with the Yaesu FTM-10R......(y)

Besides, the display is a lot cooler looking than any Icom dual bander I've ever seen......;)

the Yaesu is a good choice for your jeep. its small and with a seperation kit, it can be hidden out of site, and kept dry.
I own a jeep and go offroad often, and i'm picking up one of these for my jeep. I have a limited space on my overhead console for this unit. Several members in our Jeep club use this radio. The 2800 is a good radio, but its big and heavy.

good luck, and 73s

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.