• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Silverado - will it handle the RF?

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
I'm probably pulling the trigger on a new Silverado 2500HD in the next couple weeks. I'm going to be pulling my current setup (A PC76XL/Fatboy 1x4) from my Dodge. The setup would cause annoying things to happen (seatbelt light to flicker, and my aftermarket gauges to act funny), buy nothing detrimental to the driveability. I've read about setups causing trucks to run funny, sometimes shutting off completely, toasted ECMs, etc...don't need that headache.

Before I spend the time installing the radio and amp in the Silverado, does anyone have one with a similar setup? Anyone know if the amp will cause major problems with the electronics??

a properly bonded vehicle(hood,fenders,doors,tailgate,bed,tailpipe) and grounded body to frame should help.

What antenna? Hard mounted or mag mount? If mag mount, then i would say you are at the limit of it's capability and it will need hard mounted. Unless if you are driving amp to hard

Keeping a clean signal may help. Do not try to get every bit of watt out of the amp.

hope this helps out, there are no guarantees just a few things to consider. Radio modifications are also a consideration.

With more details the forum can prolly help.

The radio is peaked/tuned, but not clipped. I run about 100 watts dead key, swing to whatever since I really have not control of that. I will probably hard mount my 102 again, hopefully I can get into the same low SWR range I have now.

You could probably bump that dead key out from the amp to 300-400 watts, probably peak out at 1600+ watts.

I'm probably pulling the trigger on a new Silverado 2500HD in the next couple weeks. I'm going to be pulling my current setup (A PC76XL/Fatboy 1x4) from my Dodge. The setup would cause annoying things to happen (seatbelt light to flicker, and my aftermarket gauges to act funny), buy nothing detrimental to the driveability. I've read about setups causing trucks to run funny, sometimes shutting off completely, toasted ECMs, etc...don't need that headache.

Before I spend the time installing the radio and amp in the Silverado, does anyone have one with a similar setup? Anyone know if the amp will cause major problems with the electronics??

I have owned Fords and a couple of Dodges, never a problem with RF getting into anything but an airbag idiot light.
A friend had a Chevrolet Colorado, engine misfires, power window and door locks acting like they are on LSD....two different trucks though....nice trucks whether the amps cause interference or not!
Amps and a vehicle's electronics are a crap shoot at best.
If you want a Chevy pickup, an 84 1500 won't have a single RF related problem. :laugh:

Good luck with these newer trucks. I have been fighting a squeal with just a dual mosfet 979. I have it mounted on the dash in a 2011 FX4 and when I key up it acts like the talkback and mic gain are maxed out, pull it back and set it on my lap, passenger seat or console and everything is fine. I have tryed everything I know of and have come to the conclusion that security systems, Navigation, Microsoft sinc and back up cameras have no place in a truck where you wish to run a high powered radio.

The radio is peaked/tuned, but not clipped. I run about 100 watts dead key, swing to whatever since I really have not control of that.

I'm probably pulling the trigger on a new Silverado 2500HD in the next couple weeks. I'm going to be pulling my current setup (A PC76XL/Fatboy 1x4) from my Dodge.
Ummmm . . . Isn't running 100 watts into a 1 x 4 amp going to burn the 1 x in the amp?

Don't knw about these amps; but I'm pretty sure that a 1 x 4 amp is a low drive amp. Or did I miss something?

Good luck with these newer trucks. I have been fighting a squeal with just a dual mosfet 979. I have it mounted on the dash in a 2011 FX4 and when I key up it acts like the talkback and mic gain are maxed out, pull it back and set it on my lap, passenger seat or console and everything is fine. I have tryed everything I know of and have come to the conclusion that security systems, Navigation, Microsoft sinc and back up cameras have no place in a truck where you wish to run a high powered radio.

I stuck my 949 in the glove box of my car and it gives me squeal/reverb through the stereo...but only if the stereo is turned up enough to hear it playing music. The roger beep also sets off my radar detector no matter the output.

Ummmm . . . Isn't running 100 watts into a 1 x 4 amp going to burn the 1 x in the amp?

Don't knw about these amps; but I'm pretty sure that a 1 x 4 amp is a low drive amp. Or did I miss something?

100 watts dead key out of the amp...I don't worry what the radio is doing, as long as the amp is in its sweet spot.

I'm pretty sure 100 watts would have cooked the driver?? If not, it sure would sound funny!

I have owned Fords and a couple of Dodges, never a problem with RF getting into anything but an airbag idiot light.
A friend had a Chevrolet Colorado, engine misfires, power window and door locks acting like they are on LSD....two different trucks though....nice trucks whether the amps cause interference or not!
Amps and a vehicle's electronics are a crap shoot at best.
If you want a Chevy pickup, an 84 1500 won't have a single RF related problem. :laugh:

Well, that sucks...my 2004.5 is technologically simply compared to a newer truck, so I figured as much. For all the electronics under hood, nothing is shielded.

Ehh, doesn't really matter; I don't run the amp that much anyway...maybe I'll trade it for another toy?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio