• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Sirio 1/2 wave Gain Master

Will be an interesting read so will be waiting to hear from you sir.

I've been curious about that one for a while but as you know I don't live in the most antenna weather friendly part of the world.
Yeah, Ed, that’s why I opted for the 1/2 wave. Should hold up a little better In the wind than the 5/8 version. Hope so. :giggle:

Reactions: Eldorado828
Antenna arrived earlier than expected and weather was nice (sunny and 50), so up it went.
Instructions said to set lengths of top two sections at 71.6” for 27.2 MHz. SWR was high at that length. Wound up using 69.5” for each, resulting in the following SWR’s:
1.2@CH1
1:1@ CH20
1:2@CH40
Here are a few pics:

Nice choke.
FF18AB47-39F1-4744-AEEE-C317179B72E9.jpeg

Preparing to wrap the connection per instructions.
4E0FFE88-314B-477E-AE4B-83104676CDFC.jpeg

In the air!
008B7B3B-88C7-4DD5-9E97-A7D46BF36BD1.jpeg

In a brief test, I am receiving a local CB’r 1/2 S Unit higher than with my homemade Starduster. He noticed the same difference on his end. In summary, the antenna goes together easily, looks good and seems to be working decently. :giggle:

Update. The local I mentioned above is only 2.5 miles from me. Just conducted a better test. Talked to a local 12 miles away. His signal has gone from a 3 to a 7. Before, I could barely hear him. Loud and clear now! :)
Update again.
Turns out the local was running an amp! :ROFLMAO: Hence the big jump in signal. However, when he did go back to barefoot, I received him at a 5. So the new antenna did improve his signal 2 S units. :giggle:

Am loving this antenna. Will learn a lot about its durability in the next 3-4 days as freezing rain is forecast. It is definitely not as rigid as an Antron 99. Quite frankly am expecting a lot of sag/bend with ice accumulation. Will report back on any change in its SWR/Performance/Physical Condition as the week progresses. Fingers crossed. :giggle:

Am loving this antenna. Will learn a lot about its durability in the next 3-4 days as freezing rain is forecast. It is definitely not as rigid as an Antron 99. Quite frankly am expecting a lot of sag/bend with ice accumulation. Will report back on any change in its SWR/Performance/Physical Condition as the week progresses. Fingers crossed. :giggle:
I've had this antenna on my list of possibilities for a while and I'm very curious. Can't wait to see your update. I'm currently using the a99 and I-Max 2000 and they seem to be doing well enough.

Reactions: Riverman
Am loving this antenna. Will learn a lot about its durability in the next 3-4 days as freezing rain is forecast. Will report back on any change in its SWR/Performance/Physical Condition as the week progresses.
Well, the ice missed us. Had three days of sleet and flurries but no freezing rain and ice accumulation. As a result, the antenna remained straight.
No change in SWR or performance.

Update.
Had some brief heavy rain a few days back.
SWR rose from 1.1 to 1.2. That’s all.
Returned to normal once things dried out.

Update.
Yesterday winds here were 38 mph with gusts to 55. :oops:
The Sirio Gainmaster 1/2 wave is standing straight and tall this morning. :giggle: Actually, it didn’t even bend much during all of that.

Update.
Yesterday winds here were 38 mph with gusts to 55. :oops:
The Sirio Gainmaster 1/2 wave is standing straight and tall this morning. :giggle: Actually, it didn’t even bend much during all of that.
Heck yeah, that's a good test.
Not the right thread, but the sigma venom took a beating yesterday too. 35 mph sustained with continuous 68 to 75 mph gusts. Yesterday was a rough one! Unlike your sirio, the sigma looked like a boomerang during all that. That said it stands straight this morning, hard to believe it's surviving the panhandle life.

Heck yeah, that's a good test.
Not the right thread, but the sigma venom took a beating yesterday too. 35 mph sustained with continuous 68 to 75 mph gusts. Yesterday was a rough one! Unlike your sirio, the sigma looked like a boomerang during all that. That said it stands straight this morning, hard to believe it's surviving the panhandle life.
Glad to hear it, Ed. (y)
We survived to talk another day. :giggle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.