• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Sirio Performer 5000 Fighter

M0GVZ

Oct 18, 2011
One for the preppers? The Sirio Performer 5000 Fighter is a limited edition. Its a 3/8 fitting, without the stub underneath like the trucker version, and the whip is about 6 inches longer than the Sirio Performer 5000 PL making it almost 7ft tall. For the pepper the coil cover is in camouflage colours. Not sure if they're available in the USA yet but keep a look out.

221850558.jpg

They've also brought out "Fighter" limited editions of the other Performer 5000 variants.

plaatje.jpg

Nice that it shows the images of the matching coils. At least you now know the difference and don't have to take it apart to see for yourself.

Last edited:

Same antenna. The top section of base coil is black chrome. Same soft metal. Man if they would just make the antenna a little better, I mean make it out of good metal and such. Charge a it more. I would still buy it. JMHO. Screw camo. Make a more robust antenna, make whip thicker as to not bend so easy. Use better materials in base coil. I'm just dreaming LOL!! Camo antenna. I'd lose it in my garage or if it fell into the grass. The 3/8 thread model is a turbo 5000 with a 3/8" stud instead of the metric one they use on the turbo, it appears to me anyway looking at my turbo 5000. Anyway, gotta get in while the market for the "camo" thing is in I suppose lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly
Interesting, I'm not a fan of camouflage, but wonder how the extra 6" length on the whip affects things. I had to cut about 2" off my Sirio 5000PL in order to tune it to 1:1.

They used less cooper in the coil section and make up for it with a longer whip. Not much difference with 6" I wouldn't think. Now add a couple feet and it would be a different story. But 6" is just more whip to bend. Hope they increase the diameter of the whip is what I would like to see. Less taper towards the top. JMO.

They used less cooper in the coil section and make up for it with a longer whip. Not much difference with 6" I wouldn't think. Now add a couple feet and it would be a different story. But 6" is just more whip to bend. Hope they increase the diameter of the whip is what I would like to see. Less taper towards the top. JMO.

Ah I see, it doesn't seem an extra 6" would make any difference performance wise then.

Make a more robust antenna, make whip thicker as to not bend so easy.

NOOOO. You want a whip that bends. It takes alot of the strain off the matching coil and the mount the antenna is fixed on. It means you can go through things like Drive-Thrus with a height barrier just a couple of feet higher than the bottom of the antenna without needing to remove it and without any damage to it.

I can understand that as well M0GVZ. I just would like to see a bit thicker whip at the top. It's just my preference. The current whips bend very easy at the top when you bang something and the end of the whip wants to then start to curl over. You then have to straighten it out which never really is straight again. It also makes the metal weaker bending back and forth. I understand the whole nor breaking anything, but I just think the taper of the whip they use is too skinny at the top. Again JMO.

I can understand that as well M0GVZ. I just would like to see a bit thicker whip at the top. It's just my preference. The current whips bend very easy at the top when you bang something and the end of the whip wants to then start to curl over. You then have to straighten it out which never really is straight again. It also makes the metal weaker bending back and forth. I understand the whole nor breaking anything, but I just think the taper of the whip they use is too skinny at the top. Again JMO.

I agree, I prefer a thicker whip than the stock one.

The stock one flops around in the wind too much for my tastes. I replaced mine with the 64 inch Wilson whip and it fits perfectly in the Sirio 5000 coil. I also replaced the lower shaft since I use the 5000 trucker series from the stock 8 inch to a 24 inch. This gets the coil higher up in the air and makes it more in line of a center loading antenna.

The Wilson whip is still plenty flexible to take a lot of hits as I done so already with it.

The coil design of the Sirio is the heart of the antenna anyway and is very well designed to match up to the CB or 10 meter frequencies providing the antenna has a good mounting scheme and D.C. ground.

Reactions: Slowmover
Well said fourstringburn. I made one with a 102" whip cut down. Had to drill out the center of the whip holder and it worked well but was too heavy and did break after coming off from hitting a power line at 40mph. This was with a mag mount and several magnets on the underside as well. Held very tight for a mag mount LOL. It's all I could use as it was on my old work van. It did perform better while at highway speed than the stock whip though. Like I said, I like you prefer a stiffer whip due to highway speed flop over with stock whip. I now cut my sirio whips from the top and not bottom as to keep the thickness. Might seem odd, but that first 4" of antenna is thin as can be. It really could use a bit thicker whip just like the Wilson one. Corona ball not needed but whip could be same size. Not using setup currently, but plans are to place it on roof of an E350 van. Long van is good!! Just gots to convince boss who is also an avid radio head, to drill it!! It's in the works LOL!! But anyway, the above is just my opinion and experience with other whips and the sirio performer 5000 base loaded antenna. I have used the turbo 5000 and the megawatt 4000 and TBO, the megawatt had the best rx/tx but the whip is just too thin. Bends way too much at highway speed to talk dx. But sitting still it was a great antenna. Maybe someone will see this over at sirio and we will see a bit thicker whip. We all can wish and dream can't we. Thanks for the input fourstringburn!!!

They are thinner, i drilled my wilson 5000 to take a cut down sirio 4000 whip,

The original sirio 5000pl had a nice thick tapered whip, i heard the later ones have changed to a skinny/floppy whip like the 4000 series,
maybe because the 5000 turbo was prone to folding over at the joint when on the move and the 5000pl prone to pulling the small screws out under the lower coil housing when hitting trees,

i don't like floppy whips like the sirio 4000 that lays back at 90 degrees @70mph,
stiff whips give more stable signals and vswr on the move,
my hp4000 has a 6ft avanti whip in it,

no way would i go floppy to use a drive through without removing the antenna, that's just plain lazy.

Reactions: 222DBFL
yeah both of my Sirio 5000's have the thick whip. I've heard about the newer ones having thinner whips. I bought both of mine from H&Y.

Thought the same. Newer one I bought compared to 3yrs ago. The old whip will not fit the new whip insert on the new 5000 performer vs my he old one. The whip is physically thicker for sure and is much more robust and has less taper than the new whips.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.