• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New spt500 gamma

i would put the insulator below the bracket with the long end up through the hub.

I agree with you, that is the way my manual shows the installation.

This put the radial hubs flat, metal to metal, on the top of the metal mounting bracket rather rather than sitting on top of the thick part of the insulator.

Attachments

• SP500 upper insulator..pdf
    412.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: bob85
Van, I never owned a SP500. I showed an image for what my most recent manual for this antenna appears to show for installing the top insulator. All my manuals show the insulator is installed from inside and between the ends of the antenna mounting bracket. IT IS NOT INSTALLED FROM ABOVE LIKE THE VIDEO IN BOB'S POST #6 SHOWED WHERE THE CLOSE UP OF THE ANTENNA IS UPSIDE DOWN.

The base assembly part is said to come per-assembled, but you have to install the radial brackets and the radials...so you must remove the 3 x 1/4" nuts, washers, and bolts. So, it you did this and slide the insulator down inside the mounting bracket a little, all you have to do is slip the radial brackets down over the top of assembly #5 to the top of the mounting bracket, slide the insulator back up into position, line-up everything, and reinstall the insulator hardware. Tighten down everything and the assembly #5 should be complete and ready for the rest of the radiator and the top hat.

Then maybe check the DC continuity.

Van, I never owned a SP500. I showed an image for what my most recent manual for this antenna appears to show for installing the top insulator. All my manuals show the insulator is installed from inside and between the ends of the antenna mounting bracket. IT IS NOT INSTALLED FROM ABOVE LIKE THE VIDEO IN BOB'S POST #6 SHOWED WHERE THE CLOSE UP OF THE ANTENNA IS UPSIDE DOWN.

The base assembly part is said to come per-assembled, but you have to install the radial brackets and the radials...so you must remove the 3 x 1/4" nuts, washers, and bolts. So, it you did this and slide the insulator down inside the mounting bracket a little, all you have to do is slip the radial brackets down over the top of assembly #5 to the top of the mounting bracket, slide the insulator back up into position, line-up everything, and reinstall the insulator hardware. Tighten down everything and the assembly #5 should be complete and ready for the rest of the radiator and the top hat.

Then maybe check the DC continuity.

For sure. I was just wondering if the long side or short side of the insulator faced the top of the radial plate. The manual seems to show the long side up but it came out of the box short side up

Reactions: Marconi
For sure. I was just wondering if the long side or short side of the insulator faced the top of the radial plate. The manual seems to show the long side up but it came out of the box short side up

That is fine and it might make sense. I don't know the stresses at this point in the real world due to wind and weather, but If that is the way in came, I would not worry about it.

I just looked back a some old images I had from others who posted pictures and I saw this insulator in several positions over time. I used these images to help me with a better understanding for how to model this antenna.

I never was aware of a problem here, but in Bob's post #6 video it looks like "More Jello Please," who made the video, either got his antenna with the insulator installed wrong or he took the assembly #5 fully apart and changed how the insulator was to be installed, and set it in from the top instead of from the bottom of the antenna mounting bracket. ??????????????

Van, the way your insulator is setup looks fine with me, but my manuals seem to show the tall side is up instead of the short side.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
The pic Van lifeson posted of the short side up probably has less chance of splitting the plastic in high winds,

what i don't like is how short the insulative path is when the radial hub sits flush with the insulator, its flat too,

looks like a recipe for swr issues with rain once some wet dirt has accumulated around the radiator & hub or even arcing with high power,

imho under bracket with long side up is the best compromise,

it gives a good insulative path length above and below the bracket for least chance of vswr or arcing issues,
at the expense of a little more chance of splitting the plastic in high wind,

the other positions are either worse insulators or weaker in wind or both.

Do you think there is anyway to build that insulator up few inches above the bracket. Maybe some silicone sealant?

Attachments

• 20200613_144502.jpg
    20200613_144502.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33
That’s how mine came. It’s been up for a few months now with zero problems. SWR doesn’t change in rain either. This antenna
Is great. Will see how it does this coming winter.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.