• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New spt500 gamma

Yes, it does. That is the reason I did this. I did have an arching issue THROUGH the upper insulator.
The PTFE I used is rated for 500V per 1 mil of thickness in insulation value.....
No more arching, and no more climbing VSWR when the weather turns wet.....

Why did it arched? How did you notice that, SWr flictuating? Mine has the insulation backwards from factory.. Even upside down it, it works fine.

Why did it arched? How did you notice that, SWr flictuating? Mine has the insulation backwards from factory.. Even upside down it, it works fine.

It arched thru (burned a hole thru) the upper insulator ...
Running too much high power too many times.
I saw it instantly when the VSWR reading shot up to over 30:1 when I was transmitting.
I immediately unkeyed and shut down for an inspection.
With my binoculars from the ground, I could see the dark carboned area around the vertical radial just above the ground radial plate where it had arched severely.

Upside down insulator will let the antenna perform just fine,
UNTIL, it gets wet or during an active rain the VSWR WILL climb to higher readings.
You might claim it doesn't, but it is virtually impossible for it not to.
The water on top of the horizontal radial plate will be a direct connection between the radiating element and the ground elements. Water conducts, electricity and RF .......

D414BB77-54CA-40E3-A6F5-AE456D4C773A.jpeg SWR at 100 watts in POURING RAIN, I mean a thunderstorm with HEAVY RAIN for the last hour with short side of insulator facing up.

Reactions: dave457

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated