• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to HF (list of my mistakes)

KW4HKY

Feb 16, 2010
I'm fairly comfortable with my IC-7000, and thought I would give HF a try.

It came with a new AH-4 tuner.
I bought a mini GR5V to get my feet wet.

Now I see that the tuner is for wire only, not coax.
Antenna is mounted on a mast on my 2nd story house, and of course it will not pick up anything without a tuner.

Should a order a coax type tuner and try the GR5V? That's my only option to give HF a try. IF I read correctly, the GR5V will not do 80 or 160. Even if I put up a wire, I was told the AH-4 will not tune the lowest bands.

I'm disabled, and totally at the will of someone taking a day to drive up to my house and tell me what I even need for a wire. I have a 4 acre lot with lots of 45 ft white oaks, that is one thing I have going for me.

If I need to get another tuner for the GR5V, I am open to suggestion. Every one I ask has a different opinion.

If I like HF, I want to work everything. I am going to take my extra exam this fall.

Thanks for helping a rookie.

Why don't you make use of the AH4 and just run a big random wire antenna? ~100 ft should be a good amount.

will it pick up all the HF bands? If I have to put up 100ft straight line, seems like I might as well put up an inverted V, 125 on each leg, then have it all?

not arguing, but it's so hard to get help, I want to get this over in one day if possible.

thanks

Yes, the tuner will load a wire up on all bands fairly well. Some better than others.

Since you have the real estate and trees I would concentrate on putting up 2-3 dipoles on the bands your most likely to actually use. Take your time and trim 'em for resonance and you'll not need a tuner. U can use the AH4 to dedicate for a long wire. This will get you started, but you'll probably want to change everything later anyways. Just be prepared to fidget with it some. Grounds and balun may help with some issues. A "regular" tuner would make life easier for you though. You wouldn't have any trouble trading or selling the AH4 and getting a good tuner. You'll be more satisfied However, if you build your wires without the need for a tuner.

Just research before you dive in. You should probably be able to get a couple poor teenagers that need money to help you get everything up.

All my wires require no tuner, except for occasional excursions on the edges.

Last edited:
zzzzzzzzloop.gif

I feel your pain. According to this site (HamOperator.com and klick on the AH-4 links) you can use your AH4 with open wire line, so if you added a 1:1 balun to the coax at the end of your G5RV (assuming it has coax at the rig end) and then a short length of open wire line to the ant terminal and the earth terminal of the AH4, you should have a workable system. A better approach may be to put up a dipole 80 meters (as you have the room) and feed it with open wire line direct to the AH4, it should be an effective antenna on all bands from 80 meters upwards and wont cost much to put up in time or money.
Good luck and hope to work you some day on HF

73 Mike in Melbourne Australia.
VK3 Xtra Large

I feel your pain. According to this site (HamOperator.com and klick on the AH-4 links) you can use your AH4 with open wire line, so if you added a 1:1 balun to the coax at the end of your G5RV (assuming it has coax at the rig end) and then a short length of open wire line to the ant terminal and the earth terminal of the AH4, you should have a workable system. A better approach may be to put up a dipole 80 meters (as you have the room) and feed it with open wire line direct to the AH4, it should be an effective antenna on all bands from 80 meters upwards and wont cost much to put up in time or money.
Good luck and hope to work you some day on HF

73 Mike in Melbourne Australia.
VK3 Xtra Large

Great minds! I made one of those yesterday, before i called Icom. They told me that would work, at times, but sooner or later, fried radio and tuner.

I had a suggestion from my Elmer. He said nothing will work until the tuner is grounded. Here is another major problem. 2nd floor shack. He suggested MFJ artificial tuner with a straight line wire.

I talked to HRO, and they agreed that had the best chance of working.

I found a 50ft piece of steel clothesline wire, soldered an eye on each end.

I can run it from my tuner and hool it to a tree and get it pretty close to horizontal. I know it should be one an angle.

I figure it's worth a try. HRO will let me return the tuner. They were trying to make what I have work instead of pushing another high dollar tuner on me.

That's about all I can do with no help.

If it does work, I will call the wireman and get the proper length straight line, and use my tuner, with the MFJ ground.

IF not, I will sell the AH-4 since it's new, and call all the clubs until I can find help, and put up an inverted V and get the IC180 that is made for that setup.

I am really getting down on this project.

Actually thinking of selling the 7000 and using my HT & work 2m/440. I have a beam on the 2nd story and it works great.

Thanks for all the help

Place the tuner outside and ground it. Run your appropriate length of random wire. Then make an longer extension of your tuner control wire to reach your shack. Plus your coax jumper.

Enjoy HF....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.