1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

New to radio!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by Allenph, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Allenph

Allenph Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Hello, guys! My friend was telling me all about his radio setup, and how awesome it is. I'm a jack-of-all-trades type of guy, so I thought, why not give this a try?
    I have a few questions, and I am pretty sure I understand the basics, but I've been wrong before. I did operate some CB radios for my search and rescue team, but those can only reach out a few miles, and the frequencies I was operating on, are illegal to use for civilian use. Obviously, I know things like the phonetic alphabet, and basic radio terminology, and manners. My first question being, is there any way to communicate long distance via radio, without expensive equipment, or a license?
    My understanding is that there are three real ways to accomplish talking on the distances I'm talking about. Florida to Utah type distances that is. The first being a REALLY powerful signal, requiring unfathomable amounts of power and high frequencies, which seems both expensive and illegal without a license. The second way is by bouncing certain frequencies of the ionosphere. Also sounds fairly expensive, and requiring of a license. And the third, relaying radio signals via satellite, which I consider cheating. Haha.
    So, with limited funds, and with no license, is there any type of radio for me? Where do I start? If I need a license, how expensive is it going to be, and how long is it going to take?

Any help appreciated greatly! Thanks ya'll.

* EDIT*

Also, I would like to add, I have done a LOT circuitry, and I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron. If it is cheaper to buy pieces and put them together, let me know too. Thanks.
  2. KingCobra_CDX882

KingCobra_CDX882 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Mar 30, 2005