• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Tower installed

I'm curious as to why you went through all that fab to hoist it vertical? I see the guage of metal is thick, but is it that heavy that two people can't simply walk it up? My tower was a hinged 30'er and just two of us walked it up and then the long center mast post was pushed up manually, then pinned in place, to further raise the antennas. A crank-up tower of that guage should be able to be permanently anchored, and then you can climb that small height to install the antennas then raise it. Or am I missing something here?

Sonwatcher is correct on the specs. I don't think it would be possible to walk this tower up from a lowered position. This is a 55' free standing design that will handle about 14 sq ft of wind load with no guys. Also the main antenna, a Mosley PRO-67b weighs about 100 lbs by itself plus the rotor mast, several other antennas and the downward force of the coax cables. The crank up enables you to lower the antennas of course for maintenance and bad weather. The raising fixture makes the tower accessable so you don't need a cherry picker every time you want to work on or change your antenna system its kinda tough to reach out to a yagi's 38' boom when your up on top I'd rather stand on a 12' ladder.
It was well worth the effort.

Thanks
Jonbah

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.