• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New truck..

SuperDave

Sep 10, 2012
Luling, La.
I recently purchased a 2013 4x4 F150 EcoBoost and I must say it's a completely different animal when compared to my 1999 compound turbo Ram 2500. With that being said is there anything to worry about when running fairly large amps in these new trucks? I've got a TS500v that I'd like to put in it but don't want to brick the computer on my new truck.

I grounded everything in my old truck and never had an issue.

The ecoboost is a pretty exotic engine, ground everything.

I saw a showroom stock one run in the 14s at the dragstrip and that is awesome.

Yeah, I'm not doing much to this truck. I put a leveling kit on it Saturday morning but I'll probably leave the engine stock. I spent thousands on my 24v cummins so that's my Horse power toy.

I'm having trouble finding a place to mount a radio in my new truck. If my radios didn't have a side mic it would be a lot easier but I'm extremely hesitant about drilling any holes. :/

Don't bother running over 100W. There is no advantage and all you do is create more chance for RFI to cause issues. On a properly calibrated S meter, 500W compared to 100W is just one more S-point to the receiving station.

Put your money and your effort into your antenna and its installation. Everything you need to know about installing the antenna properly along with things like bonding which will improve performance and reduce RFI can be found at www.k0bg.com

100W into a well installed antenna will beat 500W into a piss poor install every day of the week. It'll also hear better.

Reactions: binrat
Don't bother running over 100W. There is no advantage and all you do is create more chance for RFI to cause issues. On a properly calibrated S meter, 500W compared to 100W is just one more S-point to the receiving station.

Put your money and your effort into your antenna and its installation. Everything you need to know about installing the antenna properly along with things like bonding which will improve performance and reduce RFI can be found at www.k0bg.com

100W into a well installed antenna will beat 500W into a piss poor install every day of the week. It'll also hear better.
Total Agreement I have worked the world from the command position of a 379 Pete rolloin on the Hwys & Byways the this Awesome Country on 100 Watts.

The first 100 watts is the easiest to obtain properly (and cheapest). Have to agree with M0GVZ above, antenna, antenna, antenna. A bice 102" whip off of the top of the box would be handy.

Thanks fellas. We'll 100 watts isn't cheap for me because I'd have to buy a dual final radio since I don't have one or find a smaller amp. Haha I could possible turn my DK down to one watt and turn down the overall power on the radio to tame the TS500v. Or is loafing the amp just as bad as over powering it?

I just put my Sears Roadtalker 40 in tonight. I just need to mount the antenna.

I've got a whip and a Wilson 1000. I use RG58x for coax for the permanent mount.

I use RG58x for coax for the permanent mount.

With that power? Wow. Surprised you've not cooked anything. 500W is right on the limit of RG58 on 11m and thats with a good SWR. As the SWR rises the maximum input power lowers.

Wouldn't even entertain running 500W into a magmount. It doesn't provide enough capacitive coupling to ground to work properly.

Thanks fellas. We'll 100 watts isn't cheap for me because I'd have to buy a dual final radio since I don't have one or find a smaller amp. Haha I could possible turn my DK down to one watt and turn down the overall power on the radio to tame the TS500v. Or is loafing the amp just as bad as over powering it?

I just put my Sears Roadtalker 40 in tonight. I just need to mount the antenna.

I've got a whip and a Wilson 1000. I use RG58x for coax for the permanent mount.
Personally I think you don't need to run that amp at it's max, let it loaf. I would ditch the coax and god for at least 8X coax of good quality. And, to top things off,whip it, whip it good.

Typo! I have RG8x on everything, including the jumpers. I've got some Certified Quality RG8-x and DX Engineering 'brand' RG-8x. I'm sure these aren't the best, but I've been using the CQ RG8-x in my truck for a while with the TS500v with no issues thus far.

So turn the radio DK down to 1w and swing to 12-15w?

When I had this setup in my truck I was seeing roughly 425 watts on my RadioShack Meter with a 2w DK and I beleive it was around a 15-18w swing.

Id be more concerned about grounding and antenna like was said, congrats on the truck, i too am a diesel lover have a F250 with a 7.3 4x4 lifted etc. several work trucks with dt466's and 2 cummins m11's. i can imagine the eco boost is far from the 24v

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.