• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbee/Help on base antenna for apt.

The length of the feed line/coax should be long enough to get from the radio to the antenna with some extra in case things need to be moved around some. There is no 'perfect' length. Too much is definitely better than not enough. After that, it's more or less whatever it takes.
The myth about feed line lengths is because there are certain lengths that can be used in -particular- circumstances that can be beneficial. Those circumstances are not all that common, and certainly don't apply to a typical dipole, or vertical antenna. If you can get the antenna at least close to a 50 ohm input impedance the length of the feed line makes no difference at all. Basically, tune the antenna, not the feed line!
- 'Doc

A saint and a gentleman...thanks!

I lied, 2 'final' questions:

1) Is there any particular layout I should strive for with the 2 dipoles? In other words should I try to place it in an inverted 'V' position, or circular, or I may even be able to stretch it between two windows outside against the building wall? Laid-back Landlord and only 4 units per building so 3rd option may be feasible if you think it best.

2) Will I have to buy a cb-antenna-ready "ohm meter" to ensure 50ohms or will the coax antenna cable, regardless of length, satisfy the 50ohm requirement?
I have a Pace P5403A, but I don't think it will help in this regard and it is missing the antenna for the "field" tester :-(

Sample pic:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Pace-SWR-Watt-Meter-Model-P5403A-Accessories-/00/s/NDQ4WDc5Ng==/$%28KGrHqJ,!pQFBWf4uEThBQYi-b!yI!~~60_35.JPG

Thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.