• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbee w/ D-104 T-UG9 Question

I believe the amplifier/impedance matching board will contain several electrolytic caps as well as ceramic disc's that will probably be well out of tolerance by now. All the caps in my 1980 TUP9 Silver Eagle were all well out of tolerance.

As usual Nomad is correct. The TUG9 stand was designed by Astatic to open up the EFJohnson market for them as the TUG8 would not easily be usable/connectable to Johnson radios.

Even though the Golden Eagle hasn't been used, there's still the possibility of issues with the crystal element after all these years depending on the environment it was stored in.

Best of luck with it, here's hoping you get to enjoy that gorgeous mic.

Reactions: NightThumper
Another thing you could try, is wire it up 4 Pin Style to a 4 Pin Plug and then use a 4 Pin Mic to 5 Pin Radio Adapter. This will put Blue & Shield together and that could make a difference.

Oh yeah and there's other thing - lol. The 9 volt battery caps are cheap and are notorious for one of the wires coming loose under the vinyl sheathing. We're sure you installed a new battery right ? - With a good battery connected, follow the Red & Black wires over to the terminal strip and check for 9 volts on the wire ends. The thing ain't gonna work if 9V isn't making it to the circuit board.

Reactions: Crawdad
I believe the amplifier/impedance matching board will contain several electrolytic caps as well as ceramic disc's that will probably be well out of tolerance by now. All the caps in my 1980 TUP9 Silver Eagle were all well out of tolerance.

As usual Nomad is correct. The TUG9 stand was designed by Astatic to open up the EFJohnson market for them as the TUG8 would not easily be usable/connectable to Johnson radios.

Even though the Golden Eagle hasn't been used, there's still the possibility of issues with the crystal element after all these years depending on the environment it was stored in.

Best of luck with it, here's hoping you get to enjoy that gorgeous mic.

My local radio repairman chastised me for electing to install electret condenser mics in place of the 46 yo original crystal mic. If the Triple set of electret elements on a custom ABS disk board doesn't work out I can switch back.

But it has to work,RX audio, with Cobra 2000GTL first before I'll know whether the TX works. Need the insider info for the unusual wiring for this unique Golden Eagle, configured mic.

You said, "All the caps in my 1980 TUP9 Silver Eagle were all well out of tolerance." Did they inhibit the mic from enabling an audio connection to begin with?IMG_1219.jpeg

I have only had to change the 4.7uf electrolytic out. Other than a transistor here and there, I have only ever had to worry about the crystal element being bad. If you have a semi fancy enough voltmeter that will read AC Millivolts you can check the element itself for output provided it has the correct range.

I have the parts to do the same electret conversion, but I have not been able to bring myself to do it. I usually choose to rebuild the crystal element when needed. It is a slight bit of work, but in my mind the microphone keeps a tad bit of its old school soul! I also convert the cystals directly over to ceramic at times, but that is a tad different story.

You said, "All the caps in my 1980 TUP9 Silver Eagle were all well out of tolerance." Did they inhibit the mic from enabling an audio connection to begin with?
No, the old caps did not keep the mic from supplying audio but it was at reduced levels. After recapping, a new pot and and new transistors (supplied by my good friend Night Thumper/Brad, along with a really sharp component tester) the mic works great with very nice audio reports.

I also replaced the OEM cartridge with an electret for a better match up to my radios and much better audio. Have you double checked to be sure you are feeding the electret(s) with the proper voltage?

Reactions: NightThumper
Holydrvr said, I have the parts to do the same electret conversion, but I have not been able to bring myself to do it.

I bought a 3 element electret kit from Fleebay. Kit had puffy oversized yellow sponge through which to insert the elements. Too much mass for the available space between face and back. Would not retain elements face forward.

Fashioned ABS 2 7/8D X 1/4" thick disk with semi-circles on the edge for the screws. Perfect stable front facing elements. Wiring between back of disk and felt. Snug/Perfect fit. Triangle pattern, elements 20mm from center. Which makes them 35mm apart from one another.

Honestly I know a whole lot of nothing about electronics. Seller would not answer question of voltage and current requirements. Kit included voltage "regulator", made of unknown value resistor, I believe, and line to 9V source. Believe they are 0.5mA elements x 3 which IF I'm not mistaken means 6k resistor? Is that you it works out? How that might equate to 3V operating voltage I'm guessing about as well. Seller said connect to such and such colored wire which was wrong. Turns out it was green wire on far opposite side leading from amp to #3 pin on mic head connector. I had the foresight to question seller on this point.

Last edited:
Marriage Consummated.

46 YO Virgin has lost her cherry today and has been wedded to Cobra 2000GTL.

No magical potion or lube needed. Just a smart Electronics Professional and one day later it's fixed and back in my hands. Thanks Daniel; aka Sambo. Valero Truck Stop CB Shop exit 147 I-20.

The Bi-Centennial Golden Eagle, 26162, had a silver contact switch corrosion issue. The switch is in the upper portion of the T-UG stand stalk, unlike that which is in the T-UP stand which is in the base.

Reactions: Holydvr
Glad your Tech got it figured out. One wouldn't immediately suspect the PTT Contacts having corrosion for a new mic. Hope you enjoy using it and are able to keep the finish pristine.

Glad your Tech got it figured out. One wouldn't immediately suspect the PTT Contacts having corrosion for a new mic. Hope you enjoy using it and are able to keep the finish pristine.
Had I imagined the switch contact to be at fault I wouldn't have known to repeatedly engage the grip switch; to wear through the oxidation film. Silver doesn't corrode, but oxidizes. Who'd have known what 46 years of sitting, unused, would result in such a malady. A Professional found it out. Sambo said it wasn't a quick and easy job.

Still working on attending to loose 5 pin mic to radio connector. Original Cobra Coffin mic works perfect. New connector installed onto Golden Eagle mic cord, female, connections not so great. Simply could be brand (manufacture) of connector.
Diameter of round/female contact points not making solid connections. Reshaping required. Thus far Rugby football shaped contacts has greatly improved connections but not 100%, still flaky. Tightening down on securing ring may cause loss of connection; no audio or modulation. Will reshape to American football for greater tightness.

Last edited:
Had I imagined the switch contact to be at fault I wouldn't have known to repeatedly engage the grip switch; to wear through the oxidation film. Silver doesn't corrode, but oxidizes. Who'd have known what 46 years of sitting, unused, would result in such a malady. A Professional found it out. Sambo said it wasn't a quick and easy job.

Still working on attending to loose 5 pin mic to radio connector. Original Cobra Coffin mic works perfect. New connector installed onto Golden Eagle mic cord, female, connections not so great. Simply could be brand (manufacture) of connector.
Diameter of round/female contact points not making solid connections. Reshaping required. Thus far Rugby football shaped contacts has greatly improved connections but not 100%, still flaky. Tightening down on securing ring may cause loss of connection; no audio or modulation. Will reshape to American football for greater tightness.
As to accessing and cleaning TUG Stem Contacts .... guess it depends on your level of experience. I've been into them dozens of times so I can disassemble, clean, re-assemble in 15 minutes. Easy Breezy

As to accessing and cleaning TUG Stem Contacts .... guess it depends on your level of experience. I've been into them dozens of times so I can disassemble, clean, re-assemble in 15 minutes. Easy Breezy
I was factoring in the discovery time. Certainly one retainer screw removal wasn't an issue. I'd passed along notions, quotes of "unusual", "non-typical" et al, with regards to the Golden Eagle; which may have added time to the investigative processes.
Perhaps your experience with this specific model could have led to the same foregone conclusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holydvr

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated