• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie bought radio

If you look closely at the S-meter, have a look at the scale plate just below the bottom edge of the window. You'll see the triangular Yaesu logo and "FT-200" printed under it.

As I recall, the exchange rate of the japanese yen to the US dollar caused the price of this radio to be excessive when the import duties were added to it. Henry Radio qualified as a "domestic" manufacturer and could sell it cheaper by having their name badge pasted on it. Far as I know, Yaesu never marketed this one in the USA. Sold it elsewhere around the world with their name on it, and with the Swiss name brand "Somerkamp" in europe.

This radio is mostly tube type. A good performer 50 years ago. In the early and mid 1970s it was still popular with the "HF" crowd that formed SSB clubs and stuck to the "upper channels" above channel 23. A local appliance store had a manager who was sympathetic to the HF operators and would order the radios from Henry in LA and sell them with a modest markup. He also bought the 11-meter crystals a dozen or two at a time, and would package them with the radio. Lost track of how many Tempo 1 radios we removed one or two 10-meter crystals and installed the CB/HF crystals in its place.

The AM is not so swift. The AM receive comes through the SSB filter, and calls for some fine tuning to clear up the audio. Can't just tune for strongest carrier on the S-meter, or the audio will be bassy and muddy. Only problem is the need to constantly 'clarify' the receive frequency every time a different AM station comes on the channel. Small differences in carrier frequency that you can't hear in a proper AM receiver make a big difference in what you hear through the narrow SSB filter.

AM transmit is not bad. Just not all that good. It's really a sidebander's radio.

Just how it performs 45 or 50 years after it was made can't be predicted. Depends on how much of the needed maintenance has been done over the decades. The cost of restoring a radio that old to full performance has gotten too high for anyone around here for a long time. Haven't repaired one of those here in almost ten years, IIRC.

Kinda reminds me of the early/mid-1970s Dodge Dart. A good low-cost and reliable performer in its day, but you don't see a lot of nostalgia restorations on the road.

I saw that today while cleaning it,the ft200 mark.

Got these two now also
20200104_141616.jpg

Reactions: Woody-202

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.