• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie with vertical install of HF antenna

Alan Blackmon

Apr 11, 2017
Boise Idaho
I have just obtained my General license this weekend. Tested for Technician and General. Passed both. Failed Extra but that is ok. Goal was to obtain General.

So now I need to erect an antenna. I was given a Hustler 5dtv vertical. My wife says she is ok to have it in the back yard. So here is my total plan of putting up the antenna. I have a row of junipers along the back fence. I have a spot between two of the junipers that I have cleared out and could install the vertical. So it will be inside the row of junipers out of site of neighbors and any visitors we have to our yard. The junipers are around the same height as the vertical antenna.

I have a concern though about this location. Hustler says to install the antenna 20 feet from any metal. The best I can do is 16 feet from a metal awning on the back of the house that covers a patio. My concern is that the awning will give me trouble with tuning or using the vertical. Any input you can give I sure would appriciate.

If I should not install the vertical I am considering putting up a inverted V fan dipole. Center of the dipole will be just around 25ish feet high. It could also be placed inside the junipers. My wife is somewhat reluctant to have me put the dipole on the house above the patio awning. Personally I would prefer to put it there but I have been told she preferred me to put it by the fence.

Any input here would be appreciated. Oh and my avatar shows a side view of the metal awning I am concerned about. I had my Moxon there for awhile. It is now removed and placed on a section of my roof not visible from my neighbors bedroom window. The Moxon is for a CB but it is wide enough to cover 10 meters or I could just retune If I needed to. The vertical also covers 10m.

Thanks for your input. I love building antennas but I think I am going to have one shot at this so want to get it done right sooner than later.

What is your intention on HF? Are looking for simple? As a general I wouldn't worry to much about 10 meters, you really wont be using it. In my opinion I would hang a simple Fan Dipole and have at it. Hang it on an inverted V form. You will work the world on 100w.

My goal for HF is DXing. I have done some skip shooting on 11 meters and my SSB CB radio with a Moxon antenna and a 1/4 wave vertical. I built both. Right now I am using a DIY half wave dipole hanging in a tree. The Hustler does include 10 meters which I know is pretty a pretty dead band now. Just like the 11 meter band. When it comes back I think I will focus on using my Moxon for the that band. Meanwhile when 11 meters does have good conditions the two antennas have done very well even with stock PEP power from the CB.

So I am hoping to improve the fun factor of the hobby. I have my license later this week and hope to be on the air by this spring after getting the vertical up. I may also string up a 20 and 40 meter dipole and get on the air sooner. Then I can take my time getting the vertical up.

For the most part, it's 20 during the day for me (am retired :D).
I go to 40 after sundown. In my neck of the woods (North Texas) it's pretty busy at night.
Will occasionally take a peak at the higher bands, but activity there is random at best. Come on, Solar Cycle 25! (y)

Alan,
BJ is the absolute best when it comes to courteous, prompt, reliable information. That's why we call him BJ radiant. :)
Oh, wait, I think you were the first to use that moniker. (n)
Good job! (y)

Reactions: binrat
I would consider putting up a 130(ish) foot doublet, fed with 300 ohm LL, and cut for the lowest band you will use (75 meters?) and then using a tuner on the higher bands.

DX Eng sells an excellent parts kit for a doublet, pretty much at about what the parts cost separately.

75 phone at nite can be a challenge without using an amp, especially during the summer.

Must be an inside joke.

It's actually BJ radionut. In another thread, Alan referred to him has BJ radiant. Knowing he is a good sport, I couldn't pass up the chance to have a little fun.

And now you know the rest of the story. :)

Last edited:
What is your intention on HF? Are looking for simple? As a general I wouldn't worry to much about 10 meters, you really wont be using it. In my opinion I would hang a simple Fan Dipole and have at it. Hang it on an inverted V form. You will work the world on 100w.

What? 10 meters is open almost every day to somewhere & you suggest not worrying about it? I owned a 5 BTV years ago & it had all kinds of issues with the rivets coming loose so I put stainless steel screws in the spots where the rivets were & it made a much better connection & took away all of the issues with losing connections between the joints. I found that a G5RV out talked & heard much better than the vertical except on 40 meters where it was pretty close either way. I had much more noise on the vertical than the G5RV but that is a very common issue with a vertical antenna. Also the 5BTV does not give you the WARC Bands & I think that 17 meters (My favorite HF Band) is a great DX Band. Use what you have but improve it when possible.

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.