• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

nitro 300 or varmit xl450

It's not so much the mileage, but simply the age on them old caps. If it's working you can wait til they start leaking to replace them.

On my D201A I run a 10-tube Phantom, arguably the only other amp that could come near the Varmints for sheer brute strength. If I didn't have the Phantom I would probably get-and restore- an XL-600 or XL-1000. Find one that is still in good condition and they aren't bad amps to look at - I always liked the blue tops some of them had.
I am hoping that Tram is running on 10 meters otherwise tisk tisk shame on you....lol

w9cll funny you mention that as ive been reading up on all this meter stuff and all the channels i get with the manuel tuning and sliding between channels,and to be honest it will take the rest of my life to get it all in my brain and if im lucky,understand an inkling of it lol..
im printing out the channel converted to mhz as we speak lol..and its too much for my hard drive"brain"to input to be honest..
so to answer your question about running on 10 meters ,all i can say is i guess so lol..
i can hear like crazy but cant get out to far as of now.but when i do they say it sounds real good..
i listen in on channels on am above the 27mhx around 27.565 or 570 and im guessing this is a ham band? or near channel 50?
will learn someday i suppose.

ABOUT THE VARMIT XL450 do they have a receive on them so i can hear better when needed?
and, is it true that if im using receive,and my buddy down the street turns on his broadcasting cb radio lol,will it pop my amp?
if so like i was told,is there something to hook up to save the amp incase this ever happens,thanks..i joined 1 other forum and cant even get on there past few days,,it kinda dissapeeeeered lol.wont connect for days..its better here anyhow,,more knowledge**Jump_im**

Correction: I wrote that the Varmints used 8950s. This was incorrect. According to Alan: all Varmint amplifiers used 6KV6 drivers and 6LR6 outputs. The XL 450 had one driver and three outputs.
The XL 600 was probably the best of the bunch.

Apologies for the error and any resulting confusion.

w9- Uh, yeah, it's on 10.. yup, yup...:)

bump for preamp info? cant seem to find much online so im guessing it dosent have preamp..is a preamp something i can buy separate as i seen some on ebay iirc..and would one be easy to hook up,john

Just turn the volume up on the radio, preamps are largely a waste and do little to separate the signal to noise ratio.

10-4 thanks..i just remember when running moble radios with the texas stars and various amp the preamp really seemed to give me much better ears lol...
but your right..in the am when skips rolling i barely crack the volume and at night when its quite i turn it up most the way to hear.
but then when the guy down the road cranks up the mega killawatts it sounds like my radio is screaming,help me help me lol..

they sure did just that on my mobile over the yrs anyhow..

im still trying to decide what to do here..get the varmit xl450 for 250 bucks..
or get dads nice nitro 300 for a few hundred bucks..

or go with a 450-500.00 bad boy transistor amp.

even been looking at the dave made amps..

theres an ameritron al-80a close to me also that looks good for 7 big ones,but i may can get it for 500,,maybe.

decisions decisions..if it were a gun id have no problem<can not stand it>

if money is no object, go with the tubes. I get more unsolicited compliments with a 2 el-519 tube Jumbo than a 4 2SC2879 Texas Star.
if you want a nofuss nomuss situation, go with the transistors.

you could always buy both amps and sell the one you don't want.

thanks space cowboy! i could swear ive heard you on the tube a few times but cant remember the channels as i surf a lot.
after reading till 3 am i think im def gonna go with a tube amp.
i read a lot about a guy with a varmit 250 and he seemed amazed so if this 450 is available and in the cond i am told im gonna grab it wed.
im hoping the xl450 has a pre amp but i can live w/out it.

skip is rollin in from everywhere today..007 in maine is breaking thru all the mees on my central fl radio,and id like to think he is running tubes as it sounds like he is right here;) at times.
23467 greasemonkey

cool, love to see some pics!
if you have heard me, I haven't been running it. the only working radio I've got right now would overdrive it. I've only got 3 sets of tubes, and at 30$ a tube...
it'll be there when the bases get re-capped. I figure 1/2 a watt key swinging 6 should be good. 25 watts makes the tubes chime with modulation.
and don't worry about a pre-amp, consider it motivation for the ducks to upgrade.

i read the amps im talking about are fine with a dead key of 4 watts swinging 15-16 that i have just adjusted to recently..thats what ive read and been told, there the best at doing there thing anyhow.
is it easyer on the amp to turn my tram back down to 1=2 watt dk?
i been saving threads on here for when time comes to adjust the new amp, but i prob make a new thread on the topic also.

heres my old and older tram..the d201a needs some work..nothing but noise on am,but i really love the old 23 channel one better..the manuel tuning slides between channels very well and picks up everything great.

the d201 was stored most its life and seems to look un touched inside as well.the tubes were cleaned after the pics,should have waited for the pics afterwards/

i guess i wont get banned for posting pics of them here lol..i could start a thread i guess. i have manuels for them both,and all the original paper work when dad bought them,and all the schematics as well..

the d104 astatic has a green light on the base that dont work,so id like to get it working as i have memories of that light when dad used it back 35=40 yrs ago..i assume he put it there as i never seen one there before.

can anyone tell me an idea of what to look for when looking for the electrolytic caps? from these pics?
i do no theres 4 of 1 and 3 of the others on the schematic ,but even on the blueprints i cant find them,,i need glasses badly.

Attachments

• tram 005.JPG
    tram 005.JPG
    922 KB · Views: 4
  • tram 001.JPG
    tram 001.JPG
    872.8 KB · Views: 3
  • d201 and h 004.JPG
    d201 and h 004.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • tram 016.JPG
    tram 016.JPG