• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

nitro 300 or varmit xl450

johnny9

Dec 3, 2013
bikini state
i may soon have the oppurtunity to get a exc cond nitro 300 or a very good cond varmit xl450..
it will be run by my 70,s tram d201 23 channel radio.
i have a old skipshooter 125 but figure thats a waste of buying a power supply to run it.
i assume the varmit will be a lil more power but figured id ask you guys,as i dont no much,but learning more everyday..

from what ive read either amp will be good with a 4 watt dead key and 15 watt swing.wanna verify that also if poss,thanks,john

OK,

Education time.

Those amps you mentioned are sweep tube amps.

Sweep tubes have not been manufactured in decades.

Once the tubes start to go flat you will end up either selling the amplifier for parts or throwing it on a shelf somewhere to collect dust.

The RM italy line of amps is good and inexpensive for what they are.

Texas Star is one of the better line of amps also.

Once again improve your antenna system, the antenna system is 95% of your signal.

Reactions: 1 person
ok thanks..all the reading ive done past few weeks i read a lot of folks that hate the rm italy stuff,but see the prices are pretty good..
theres also a lot of tubes on ebay and stuff..
guess i need to read more,as im assumeing your saying the vacuum tubes in my tram are diff than the sweep tubes in the older amps?

i kinda thought the older amps would match the radio better and sound good since they had tubes? but hey,thats what im here for,to learn more than i need to no about this stuff(y)

ive had 1/2 dozen texas stars including a 667 that really talked,but they were all moble amps..with a texas star id need a big power supply and there not cheap either..

so another words the newer amps would be better? theres a palomar 500 elite near me also that has a built in power supply..so something w/out tubes are a better choice in amps,for my 16-17 tube radio?
we have a bag of spare tubes for the trams also:D

edit;forgot to ad this tram and astro plane has talked barefoot skip all around the world in the seventys.dad had q cards from vietnam,austrailia and many countrys all over the place..and from what ive read the old good astroplanes were hard to beat i thought..my swr,s are 0 at the moment and i think this antenna is rated at 2k watts..im listening to the top and east n west usa right now,just cant talk to them lol..
what could be much better than that? again im here to learn,and thanks for the replys.

read that a few times in the past and def makes sense,but we all no we still get out much better talkin skip and have more folks to talk to with a lil power other than 4 watts and 16 swing..am i totally wrong?
maybe thats why my father had walls of call cards,and the reason my radio was dead keying a watt or less before i tuned it..because he had a box hooked up to talk to the usa when he wanted to id think.and the right conditions.
not saying it cant be done without the box at all.cause we all no its always poss when mother nature is on your side at the time..
maybe i should word it like this;ive talked in with the superbowl on channel 6 with a mobile many nights yrs ago,with a texas star 667 iirc.."some even said i was walkin on there locals"i dont see how but thats what they replied a few times" theres no way i will ever talk to most any of them even in between there breaks with 4 watts swinging 16..and over 1000 miles away.except on a dead day when everyone is eating dinner,if i got lucky lol

like everyone else i just wanna be heard every once in a while..
so am i totally wrong here..

Yes it is not a problem to be heard.

Yes it seems most think there is a need for an amplifier on the CB bands.

The reason is most are using amplifiers, and making it almost impossible to be heard unless you are using one also.

You have a great old radio.

Now if you have an antenna with gain and a great radio you would have a big signal.

Then IF you still need an amplifier it can be added to your radio station.

Most will get a radio and a splatter box amplifier. throw up the cheapest ground plane they can afford.Dead key low watts and swing to 20 or 30 or even dead key 3 watts and swing to 200. Splattering the heck out of the frequency.

You have asked for advice, and you are given it on how to operate your station with the most efficiency.

Up to you how you want to operate your station.

edit;forgot to ad this tram and astro plane has talked barefoot skip all around the world in the seventys.dad had q cards from vietnam,austrailia and many countrys all over the place..and from what ive read the old good astroplanes were hard to beat i thought
Just to add this had very little to do with the rig/antenna combo and more to do with the sunspot cycle in the 70's

thanks for all the great replys. i been reading a bunch of stuff on his forum and have def been soaking up the knowledge.
i have read about the sun spot and thats really cool.must be a similar reason in the early hrs of the day i can hear death valley and barbadus"spelled wrong"all the time as well as montana.then all fades away till late in the afternoon.

im sure we all have this same thing in common,that getting to talk,and say hello to someone that far away is just cool as heck to me and has been for the 46 yrs i been alive..i used to drive truck all over the east and west yrs ago also ,so the cb radio was kinda addicting lol.

its a great feeling to hear a quality radio that far away and sound like there sitting next to you..and i wanna get to that stage so they can hear me.and im not the guy who wants to talk over everyone"because they can"like some do.im not rich:laugh:

so with advice ive got on a few threads,i feel i have everything in great working order now,just have to get the astro plane 25ft or more higher.

ive been told the original avanti astroplane was, and still is a great antenna by many folks on and off line,but seems a few folks think i need a antenna?

so i guess after i get the antenna higher "this may be a few weeks" i will read up on antennas here and maybe learn something..
im wanting to stay with the same radio and antenna as my dad used for the "memories" i have of all his radio days..
heck even the old rg8 100ft coax with 5 or 6 strands of .025 or so copper is in great cond.and seems to be doing fine..the center clear section of the insulation on this coax is almost bullet proof,meaning its like hard nylon compared to moble radio coax.
if when the day comes it needs new coax i will def get some of that also.

thanks again guys for the schooling and helping me out..im sure there will be many more times in the future also (y)

i may soon have the oppurtunity to get a exc cond nitro 300 or a very good cond varmit xl450..
it will be run by my 70,s tram d201 23 channel radio.
i have a old skipshooter 125 but figure thats a waste of buying a power supply to run it.
i assume the varmit will be a lil more power but figured id ask you guys,as i dont no much,but learning more everyday..

from what ive read either amp will be good with a 4 watt dead key and 15 watt swing.wanna verify that also if poss,thanks,john

Just curious - what's a "varmit"?

there made by brewer labs and seem from what ive learned there not to bad.
they made many diff sizes of them back in the day..
theres also much better one too,but i assume a xl450 thats ben tested and putting out 95 percent should be worth a few bucks,im guessing.

i seen them sell on radio sites for a lil higher prices also..

google varmit amp pics and theres many pics on line(y)

im more intrested in the nitro 300 my father ha but cant find much info on it so far..but will keep digging..

Sweep tube amps (so-called because they use a tube originally designed for the horizontal flyback or 'sweep' in early color TV sets) were very popular back when you could still buy them for 2 or 3$ each in any drugstore - and who could forget Radio Shacks 'Lifetime Tube Warranty'?

Most of the sweepie amps used 6LF6 or 6LQ6 tubes. The Varmint used 8950s which was actually designed as a power tube but still falls into the sweep tube catagory. 8950s and their military version, the M2057 are rare as hens teeth now and priced accordingly. If you can find one that's NOS expect to pay upwards of $75 for one tube. The Varmint uses how many? Gets pricey quick.

The Nitro should be using 6LQ6 tubes. 5 of them IIRC. Not a bad amp for it's time but of the two I would use the Varmint with the Tram.

In the shady world of sweep tube CB amplifiers circa the 1970s, most of them were derivative of a design culled from some amateur radio article years before. IMO this is why they all pretty much ran the same tubes, typically a 1x3 or 1x4 combination using 6LQ6s. Since most of them were built by hand most likely in a garage somewhere, build quality varies widely.

Some were better than others though. The Nitro was made by Transel which was a real company and not some guy working out of a shed. As these types of amps go, they aren't bad compared to some of the crap that made it into the marketplace.

The Varmints, however were a bit different. Mr. Brewer (I forget his first name) was a bit of an eccentric. AFAIK he personally built each and every amp, or directly supervised it's construction. So protective of his circuit design was he that he never published any type of service manual or even a schematic, although many have been reversed-engineered through the years. He didn't want anyone but himself poking around inside his amps. If one of his amps needed service he would insist on it being returned to him. Whether this policy was to protect his brilliant design or not let anyone see the crap he was producing is a subject for much debate that I will not enter into here. Suffice to say the man was picky.

As with most sweep tube CB amplifiers, Varmints didn't bother with little niceties such as harmonic filtering or RF shielding. They were built for one thing only and that's output. When they worked, they were the loudest damn thing on the air. Of course you would tear up every TV and radio on the block and probably bleed onto 10m but that was par for the course.

On my D201A I run a 10-tube Phantom, arguably the only other amp that could come near the Varmints for sheer brute strength. If I didn't have the Phantom I would probably get-and restore- an XL-600 or XL-1000. Find one that is still in good condition and they aren't bad amps to look at - I always liked the blue tops some of them had.

Whichever amp you choose, I would seriously consider having it rebuilt to use a more common, less expensive tube. For the Nitro, or any amp that uses 6LQ6s, consider having it converted to a 24LQ6 or a 31LQ6. They were made in similar quantities to the 6LQ6s but weren't used nearly as often in CB amp applications, making them much more available and less expensive today. My Phantom uses 24LQ6s and I buy them NOS for around 6-7$ each. Way better than the 40$ each for a NOS 6LQ6- if you can find them.

For the Varmint, convert to the 6LB6. Again, this tube is much more available and less expensive than the 8950.

Conversion isn't difficult if you know your way around high-voltage stuff and have a good source for parts but if you don't, GET IT DONE PROFESSIONALLY. Remember: This stuff can and will kill you if you aren't careful.

If you go the conversion route, I heartily recommend Alan at www.tubesplus.com. The man is a genius when it comes to this kind of stuff. He did my Phantom and it's better than new.

A great tube radio such as a Tram deserves nothing less than a vintage tube amp. Putting a solid-state device behind that great plate modulated audio would be sacrilegious, IMO.

Good luck.

there made by brewer labs and seem from what ive learned there not to bad.
they made many diff sizes of them back in the day..
theres also much better one too,but i assume a xl450 thats ben tested and putting out 95 percent should be worth a few bucks,im guessing.

i seen them sell on radio sites for a lil higher prices also..

google varmit amp pics and theres many pics on line(y)

im more intrested in the nitro 300 my father ha but cant find much info on it so far..but will keep digging..

Yep - lots of pictures, but none that say "Varmit". Every one I saw was labeled "Varmint".

atlasta;thanks for that post..ive neard similar thoughts on the varmit and i loved hearing it from you(y)
i will be ordering anything i need for the tram from adam no doubt..his prices on tubes are very hard to beat anywhere ive checked..gonna order in the next couple days actually.
if he is that good with trams id love him to just check out and adjust mine but i freaked out about shipping a pristine cond old tram with any carrier nowadays lol..
the stuff i receive in the mail from ups,fedex and such sometimes blows my mind,and if my old tram got a nick on it i would blow my top for sure..it actually has a 1/16th lil nick i can touch up and never be noticed but thats it..

i dont feel the ole tram even needs the new caps but im sure it couldnt hurt!
if i did send it off someday,is the total of 7 electrolytic caps on my blueprints the main thing that needs replaced? the radio seems to be doing everything correct and wasnt used much at all since new,dad used the 201a.
i have a 201a also but wont turn on,and dad has 2 more 201a,s and another d201.(y)
thanks for sharing your knowledge with me,john

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.