• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NMO or UHF mount?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
For vhf uhf mobile operation, whats more desirable/efficient: NMO mount or a SO239 (UHF) mount?

For vhf uhf mobile operation, whats more desirable/efficient: NMO mount or a SO239 (UHF) mount?

I've used both but for consistency use only the SO239 now. I don't think there's any particular advantage performance wise. It's whatever antenna and mount you prefer. Not all antennas come is both versions either. I think commercial antennas are more likely to be NMO.

Reactions: 1 person
as you can see the last mount towards the back is NMO (anli dualband) the next is NMO (800mhz), the center of the roof is SO239. so if i bought either a comet or diamond tri band antenna since the so239 is center that might be the better choice?

2012-03-08_08-51-35_180.jpg

Wonder if Ham City has any demo antennas they'll let you try out in the parking lot before you buy?

Bought the diamond cr320A. Haven't tried it yet....eating lunch.

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

NMO stands for New Motorola Mount and was designed by Motorola in the late 50's, eary 60's time period for VHF and UHF mobile antennas. The mount is basically stronger, very weatherproof, lower profile, and a better impedance match at UHF. It's darned near perfect.

That's the history.

NMO stands for New Motorola Mount and was designed by Motorola in the late 50's, eary 60's time period for VHF and UHF mobile antennas. The mount is basically stronger, very weatherproof, lower profile, and a better impedance match at UHF. It's darned near perfect.

That's the history.

Great little history fact ! :)
I bought a Nmo to Uhf adapter, which should be here today. The nmo seems like a stronger slick mount over a uhf "so239" mount.

Both types of mounts have limits on how large an antenna they can handle, or how much force they can be subjected to. As long as you stay within those limits either are nice mounts. I would rather use the NMO if possible, but that's not always possible. They are a bit less obtrusive inside the vehicle. Not all manufacturers make antennas that can use an NMO mount. Oh well, so use something else.
- 'Doc

Both types of mounts have limits on how large an antenna they can handle, or how much force they can be subjected to. As long as you stay within those limits either are nice mounts. I would rather use the NMO if possible, but that's not always possible. They are a bit less obtrusive inside the vehicle. Not all manufacturers make antennas that can use an NMO mount. Oh well, so use something else.
- 'Doc

Here is the adapter in use, it is spring loaded which is nice.
2012-03-15_11-21-30_599.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.