• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No ground plane base: Workman Saturn B100

I made the mobile antenna x2 dipole with one of these:View attachment 35438

The now well-known webpage dedicated to an attic antenna built with those ties has always looked great.

But, I’m crap as a carpenter, so building an attic is on hold.

Had Larry Hankey (LARRY’s CB Shop) put together a wire dipole for me the other day. That will go to son.

EDIT: (Had to get in gear and pull away from dock. Hit the trail).

A combo of attempts for my TT and his apartment.

Both of us will move households at some point. But time to try to get on the air AT ALL.

Last edited:
The TRAM 1499 will be useful in some fashion. I’ll find what that is for my TT.

I’m thinking that a Dipole is the eventual choice as I can leave it “strapped” to the awning when not in use (awning is 23’ L).

It will be worth the while to figure how to raise sufficiently high, but with the fewest headaches to use.

I’m limited to storage of 8’ lengths to travel. But, parked awhile, strap to awning (close up against trailer) when not in use.

Home two days total, and it needs to be easy (IMO). That’s first job.

Reactions: Handy Andy
Last edited:
Well I feel silly now. I just ordered two of these (one for myself and one for a friend) after a Firestik failed miserably.

I live in an apartment, ground floor, and cannot have anything sticking out the windows. I'm using a President McKinley CB. Anything suggestions, or should I just return everything and call it 'lesson learned?"

Reactions: Slowmover
I bought the Tram 1499 “knowing” it was not recommended. Wasn’t first, won’t be last.

Ask these guys how much gear they have that’s just collecting dust. Will be far more than what’s on air. Maybe gets rotated thru. Maybe gets traded or sold. Etc.

Why not try it first? Give it some reasonable test to a mobile at known locations.

(If it’s) No where to go, but up!

Then the experiment was a success. A baseline.

FWIW, my son lives in an apartment. Interior courtyard. Second of three floors.

Oh, your apartment faces outward? You’re the big dog, then, huh?”

My attitude is to try a mix of antennas. His place and mine. Both have restrictions. Both can’t be permanent (take-down after every use).

Hell, Ive somehow wound up with (17) mobile antennas. Thought it was eight or nine till I got them into one place, ha!

Your generic truck-stop vertical whip has more than once been purchased by me to use in the oilfield as a fishing tool for near-lost expensive hose fittings.

As things go, there’s a lot of $30 purchases I wish I had the money back. Antennas ain’t among them.

Have a pair of (rare) 7’ Firestiks in the truck right now (Don’t see them retail). Barely used. Will be a gift to a driver has helped me hone what I do. His boy got him a new Cobra 29 LTD, and I said I’d throw in the above plus a RANGER SRA-198 mike (I bought a lot-sale of five a few years ago).

Son, say ya a little prayer you don’t get this microphone bug going around. Ya can’t stop with a half-dozen. Then there’s vintage antiques with cool resto mods. You’ll be eyeing that 401k . . . .

View attachment 35488
Oh Man! I like that!
Awesome!
Cool - simple easy setup!

Thanks for sharing this...Gives me even more ideas...

In case anyone needs the link...

http://hamuniverse.com/cbstrongtie.html

And what else is nice - most of it is pre-drilled...

From an Original Article...
http://www.hamuniverse.com/kl7jrdipoleTmount.html

Using the same hardware...

Thanks!

Horizontal, vertical, inverted V (with additional bending). All work great with 4’ Firestiks. A larger strong tie will yield a ground plane (vertical with two radials). That really works well. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?