• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No tx when cold?

Not sure..at work and on break I cut a little from whip to adjust swr. After that I went to check swr and found no tx. It has been sitting about 6 hours at ....-3 degrees. Going to let truck warm on next break for 20 minutes and try it again. I don't get off work until 5am.

Not sure..at work and on break I cut a little from whip to adjust swr. After that I went to check swr and found no tx. It has been sitting about 6 hours at ....-3 degrees. Going to let truck warm on next break for 20 minutes and try it again. I don't get off work until 5am.
Okay this might sound like a stupid question, but here goes!
Did you disconnect the antenna coaxial cable from the CB before trimming, and if you did not, what kind of tool did you use to trim the whip? Not a plasma cutter I hope!

My thinking is maybe the final has hit the bricks?!
Let us know if it began working again in warmer weather. (y)

Last edited:
Ok. Wilson 1000 antenna and I cut about 1/4 inch from bottom of whip. Radio is back to normal after warming up. I am about 35 miles south of Chicago and our highs are 10 -15 and lows are 0-5.

VCO out of lock. Junk CB.
Mike

I agree. I once had a Midland mobile CB radio that was basically useless in the car during our winters here. It worked fine in the warmer months or in the house. It actually would not RX or TX at all when REALLY cold. The VCO would unlock and the radio was useless.

i'm not surprised that it doesn't meet specs.

Uniden does not give a flying fig about the quality of their CB line.

They know that people are going to buy them regardless of how they perform, simply because they are more compatible looks-wise with the modern vehicles.

their hope is that the consumer finds the price point low enough to warrant throwing away the defective unit and buying a new one.

CB radio was only even close to state of the art for a few years four decades ago.
The units manufactured during this time are, and will always be the best performing CB radios around (IMO of course!), but they need to be refurbished in order to perform reliably.

BammBamm, looks like you'll just have to warm the car up before turning the CB on.
LC

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I have never had a radio fail in the cold, but I have had the knobs so hard to turn that I almost needed pliers. I'll have to leave something in the truck Sunday night to test, supposed to be -30 F

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.