• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noise Interference 40 meters - 2 Meters

Raccoon

Oct 27, 2005
www.youtube.com
On May 26th at around 5 pm I started getting 8-9 pounds of noise on my radios receive . It goes from the 40 meter band all the way to the 2 meter band . It starts at 8 am every morning and it goes on until 8 pm every night . It's exact , like something's on a timer . There's never a break from the noise during that 12 hour period , and it never pulsates , it's steady , and it comes on and off like someone is flipping a switch . So it's definitely not power lines , and my equipment is all grounded . My noise level had only been 2 - 3 pounds for the last 17 years that I've lived here , until this started ... and it still is between 8 at night , until 8 in the morning .

With that said .... I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to what filter I could buy that would be good at getting rid that level of noise ?

Last edited:

Weird country you live in.
I had a problem with s9 noise on my station. 14-54MHz. I sent email to government radio agency in Poland describing my problem. They come to me, made measurements, found the source. It was faulty 15kV circuit breaker on power pole nearby. They sent complaint to electric company, some time later they replaced breaker with new one. Noise gone.
Mike

Couple of years ago I had HV transformer replaced for the same reason.

Anyway... grab small AM radio and walk around your neighbourhood. That way you can find a source by yourself, talk to the owner, etc...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
It starts at 8 am every morning and it goes on until 8 pm every night . It's exact , like something's on a timer .

Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the Marijuana Regulation & Taxation Act (MRTA) on March 31, 2021 legalizing adult-use cannabis

I would guess you have a grow installation near-by...with JUNK China lamp ballasts...
These are known RFI generators.

And Sorry I know of no filter that will remove 50db of noise... best advise find the source and go from there!

The FCC sent me a reply to my 1st report on the interference saying thanks but no thanks .

So I submitted a 2nd report informing them that I'm a Ham operator . What the noise level is at , and that if there were any emergency traffic , this level of interference would make it impossible to hear it .... and now they seem to be a little more interested in my report .

There's also a fire department less than a block away , and they may also be experiencing this interference , and might have also filed a report as well. Making it more important to the FCC .

Who knows ??

What sp5it said. Go around with an portable AM radio. Should be able to track it down. Won't be a streetlight on a photocell as the times are reversed. If it came on at 8pm and off at 8am then one of those might would be the culprit.

I can "Try" recording it , and posting it . It's nothing like street lights , or transformers . This starts every morning at the exact same time (8:30 am) , and ends every night at the exact same time (7:45 pm) . Which rules out street lights . It's timing is so precise that you can literally set your clocks & watches by it . It's definitely something that's on a timer .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated