• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noise Toys

SmackDown

Generally when someone in our hobby speaks of a noise toy they are refering to roger beeps, fake eagles and doorbells, etc. etc.. Has anyone modded their microphone jack in a way that a digital processor can be inline with the audio. I mean like a digital delay, or echo, or graphic eq. Can someone put a drawing up ? I've played bass guitar for years and have some rack mount processors that I am not going to use with my live music playing anymore but I don't want to part with them. A 1/3 octave graphic eq and a digitech TSR-24 for starters. I appreciate any and all feedback.

CB radios use a microphone input.
But your audio equipment outputs line-level audio.
Line-level audio is generally too much to drive into a CB microphone input, so you need to attenuate it.

Line signal to microphone input

I cannot say if you really need that much attenuation.
You would probably need to experiment to find what gives clean audio on a monitoring CB.

As far as the wiring to your particular CB, there are wiring listings on cbtricks, but they are colors for specific microphone types. You would need to look at the schematic of the mic connector of your CB to get the actual signal names of each of the pins.

you need an external audio input.

basically what this is, is a shielded audio cable that goes from your audio chip to an external input jack, such as an RCA female, or a 1/4" female jack.

the center conductor of the cable goes to whatever pin is the audio input pin, and the shield goes to PC board ground.
the other end of the cable goes to the jack.

yes, you will have to put some series, and/or parallel resistance inline at the jack to get the levels right.

also, you will need to isolate the jack's body from the metal chassis if you mount the jack to the metal of the radio. otherwise you will short the PC board ground and the chassis ground together.

tell me what kind of radio you want to do this to, and i'll see if i can help.

once this is done, you just make up a simple switch connected to a mic plug that will plug into your CB, so that when you switch the switch, you are keying and unkeying the radio.

mine is a big toggle switch because it looks cool and stays keyed up without my hand being on the button.

now, plug in a mixer into the external audio input you made, and you can run as many effects as the mixer has channels.

plug your bass into a D/I box (if needed), then into the mixer, and you can play your bass over the air!

the cool thing about this is that the sound will still come through your CB speaker so you know what it sounds like over the air.

i have my 2000GTL set up to do this, and i can use whatever reverb/phaser/ whatever else my zooom box will create, and i can mix that sound with my voice, coming through whatever mic i want to use. (i like a shure SM-57)

then, if someone starts whining (truck drivers LOL), i grab my guitar and start playing some blues riffs along with them. LOL

"my radio just wont get out over these damn base stations!" (nah nah nah nah nah!)

"and i dont know where im supposed to go because i didnt look at a map" (nah nah nah nah nah!)

oh its sooooo much fun!!!

good luck,
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.