• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noisy Pre-Amp Texas Star 667v Turbo Mod

BoxHillBoy

Jun 7, 2021
Got a hot deal on a TS 667v Turbo mod. Seems to work ok, being new to amps dont have much to go off. I do have a 203p

The problem is when i switch to pre amp the noise is horrendous. Its not just loud static but seems to be static and splatter mixed together. Its so bad it drown out weak signals and is better off not using it.

I have tried it on both my Wahington base stations 858 board and later Uniden model no difference.I also tried it on my Uniden Grant and it didnt sound as bad?

When i use the pre amp on the 203p it amplifies much cleaner and works well.

My SWR is good 1:2:1 across the board and the amp is being powered by a 60amp switch mode power supply coax is RG213 from antenna and all patch leads

That is how pretty much every "cb" amplifier pre-amp works. For the most part they are a worthless gimmick. That said on a rare occasion late at night on a quiet channel you can sometimes pull in a weaker signal. You might have to find the sweet spot by backing the RF gain down a tad as well.

so after a little rooting around the pre amp is very noisy on my 5 element beam. When using the 1/2 wave station master it seems to work well or how it should.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?