• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noob Here

faltalk

Aug 5, 2014
Been wanting to get into amateur radio for a while, mainly for emergency situations and just plain like to delve into projects and learn about them. I have zero experience about radios and communications. I am sure I will be asking some stupid questions in the future. Most noobs do. I do not have a license yet, but I have some study material to get my tech. Already got a Yeasu FT-60 so I can learn my way around the radio while studying for the test. Also looking forward to learning from all the experienced members here. Seems like the forums for other hobbies teach much more than books can. Any advice is much welcomed.

One piece of advice for anyone thinking about getting into the hobby is to get hold of a shortwave receiver and listen as much as you can.

String up a piece of wire (house mains wire is good) and you can listen to how people operate, how propagation varies from day to night, season to season and from band to band.
Best of luck when yo sit your test

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.