• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Northpoint CBS-1000 help with Low output please?

Adamf

Jan 20, 2016
Hi all, I picked up a Northpoint CBS-1000 to play with and find AM output is about 1 watt ( no real audio swing) and SSB is like 8-10 watts. I tried to adjust RV4 and the AM coils (L38, L42 etc) but can't raise AM past that. On SSB I tried adjusting RV14 and no real improvement. Hopefully someone out there can help and tell me what to try (some other adjustment, replacing any parts). I would really appreciate it. I know the Northpoint is the same as several other radios (Cherokee, Albrecht, etc). Thanks, Adam in Florida

Yes, if you read my post I specifically mention that I tried to adjust those exact trimmers but it did not help.

Anyway, can anyone out there help please? Thank to all who respond. Adam

I tried to adjust those exact trimmers but it did not help.
Yep, I should read more carefully. Next thing I would try calls for a steady audio tone into the mike, keyed on sideband with the mike gain turned down to 1 or 2 Watts. There are five tuning slugs that affect transmit only. L42, L43, L44, L45 and the one between 44 and 45. My copy of the diagram blurs the callout for that coil. The peak setting for each of these tuning slugs is easier to see on a wattmeter at the low power level. If one or more of those adjustments is not set for peak power, that could cause this trouble.

Hi, as mentioned I tried adjusting the trimmers but no help. Does anybody out theter know what else I can try, I am thinking possibly drivers or finals and hoping someone is familiar with this specific radio and can help. Thanks, Adam

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Hi, as mentioned I tried adjusting the trimmers but no help. Does anybody out theter know what else I can try, I am thinking possibly drivers or finals and hoping someone is familiar with this specific radio and can help. Thanks, Adam
You adjusted the Variable Resistors but have you tried peaking the Inductors that Nomad called out above?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, YES, please read my original post, I SPECIFICALLY mention that. Thanks, Adam

Now that was a good suggestion, I just checked but parts are correct, they match service manual but I am guessing 1 or more is bad. Thanks! Adam

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.