• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NorthPoint NT4HP, NT6HP

I sure haven't seen any yet. The one burning question I have about them is do they use a ceramic shoulder washer to hold down the metal tab on final and driver transistors?

The last North Star models, the 4000 and 9000 in particular, used a soft nylon plastic washer to hold these parts to the heat sink.

TheDriverShoulderWasherIsOkay.jpg

Until you get it hot, all is well. Works just like the hard ceramic washer that (nearly) everybody else uses.

Get it a little TOO hot, and the nylon plastic softens. The mount screw slacks off, and the final (or driver) pulls away from the heat sink. Result? POOF !

MeltedWashers.jpg

This seemed like a petty thing to gripe about, once North Star was out of business for good. Made me wonder if they knew that when those last models were being made and distributed? Sort of a "last day at work, who cares?" kind of thing? Maybe?

Don't know.

Sure will be disappointed if I see these soft thermoplastic washer holding down the driver and final in a North Point radio.

Northstar I have sold a few 3 series. The customers seem happy. I had a few led problems. That is about it. Same with the 9 series. Stan seems like a stand up guy and he has been very helpfull.

Good Deal. Stan sent me one of the Prototype NT3HP's back in 03. It was one with volted finals it didn't work bad on base setup. I liked it. He's a good guy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.