• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not at all happy

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Might break down use the Pro 510XL for a Spare. Whats the best mobile for 40 chanels am mostly. While driveing. Stock radio with dual finals foe the -price.

1. General Lee 189.00
2. Conex 3300HP 199.00
3. Cobra 29 LX 109.00
4. Galaxy not sure what model
Just want to be loud clear and proud maby a few extra stock watts from the radio.
Thanks
Grogan

Cobras a Elly good CB radios its all I've ever owned up until today I bought a ugly nasty radio shack brand one

Don't get me wrong the Pro510XL is ok, transmits ok,receives ok, Could not use any other mic other than stock, I will look at the insides again for mod adjustment would be nice to hi 90 to 100% Maby the 520 has some of the same locations on the board.

I want to say that 510 can be adjusted just like any other radio...I'm pretty sure that's what my neighbor had, and it was tuned to sound pretty good?

Just need to get it to someone who want to take the time to work it.

It's the Galaxy DX959 with the mosfets and all the other bells and whistles plus the easy mod for many extra channels. A short while back H&Y Electronics had them for $109, might till do. SSB, freq counter, roger beep, talkback

I have a DX 949. It's excellent on AM. Tunes up good and has nice receive and transmit. SSB drifts so I got an external counter. Replaced it because it's too big for my likes.

Stock CB Radio...You can't beat a Galaxy 919...Priced about the same as the Cobra 29, and the same size, plus IMO much better receive...

Export radio...Mirage MX 36 HP...better receive than the General Lee, size of a Cobra 29, and variable power that the General Lee doesn't have...about the same price as the General too...Also the Mirage has a "normal/19" switch...you can be on channel 28 or 26,(or whatever) then flip the switch and be on 19!.....Some radios have a channel 9/19 switch which is really useless now days.

It's the Galaxy DX959 with the mosfets and all the other bells and whistles plus the easy mod for many extra channels. A short while back H&Y Electronics had them for $109, might till do. SSB, freq counter, roger beep, talkback

I agree. Right in the middle of your price range too. Even Amazon.com has them (new, not refurb) for less than $150. Freq counter and a large meter that none of the other radios in your list have.

Might break down use the Pro 510XL for a Spare. Whats the best mobile for 40 chanels am mostly. While driveing. Stock radio with dual finals foe the -price.

1. General Lee 189.00
2. Conex 3300HP 199.00
3. Cobra 29 LX 109.00
4. Galaxy not sure what model
Just want to be loud clear and proud maby a few extra stock watts from the radio.
Thanks
Grogan

Having owned a several brands over the years, I now own nothing but Galaxy radios. I'm very partial to them.

general lee

i would go with the general u dont need variable power if ur gonna run that radio stock with nothing in between its not a power monster pushing 100 watts and u get echo and talkback and a solid chasis.The galaxys are good radios but i have had issues with my 979.U might wanna look at the superstar 121 great am/fm radio with xtra channels and roger beep that gives solid power.

My 29 has a richer fuller bass tone on AM than my Galaxy 949, which is rather tinny sounding, especially with the Echomax2000, but the 29 with the RF Limited 2018 has excellent tone and is about the loudest AMer around.

I've been using a 510 in my car for years now. Not bad at all for the money. Power out is only two watts out of the box (at least mine was). Even with the stock mic and a Little Wil mag mount I always seem to get respectable reports. As of tomorrow though it will be my backup rig...that's when the new Uniden 980 arrives. Will be interesting to see how that one performs.

I've been using a 510 in my car for years now. Not bad at all for the money. Power out is only two watts out of the box (at least mine was). Even with the stock mic and a Little Wil mag mount I always seem to get respectable reports. As of tomorrow though it will be my backup rig...that's when the new Uniden 980 arrives. Will be interesting to see how that one performs.

Everything I've read from folks tells me the 980 is an excellent radio. ;)

Everything I've read from folks tells me the 980 is an excellent radio. ;)

That's what I've been hearing as well. It's only got a single MOSFET though, so it probably won't be a juiced-up powerhouse. Bells CB gave it a tune-up before shipping it out so hopefully the modulation will at least be respectable. We shall see...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.