• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not "CB" but "CB Bench" related.....

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Today's hamfest was good in that I got to fill a hole in my bench!!!

I think this one looked particularly clean and the guy wanted $120. I have seen them a LOT uglier... for a LOT more.... so I just paid him and took it home. No slug... so I still have to find a good 'H' slug somewhere. Will probably put a peak kit in it.

A guy that was running a nearby booth selling aluminum JPole antennas stopped me... and was telling me that with a Bird you have to calibrate the "meter" AND the "slug" as a pair.... and that if you put another slug in.... it was no longer calibrated and only good for "relative" or "go/no go" power testing.

What do the rest of you think about that?

I personally would think that.... maybe they DO have to calibrate the meter... and maybe they have to calibrate the slug....... but I would think that each would be calibrated to a "standard" that would allow ANY "calibrated slug" to be put in a meter "that has been calibrated" and get the results expected.

I just humored him and worked my way out of the conversation and went on.

Anyway, I am happy to have it!!!!

Attachments

• Bird43_03022024_01.jpg
    Bird43_03022024_01.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 11

Today's hamfest was good in that I got to fill a hole in my bench!!!

I think this one looked particularly clean and the guy wanted $120. I have seen them a LOT uglier... for a LOT more.... so I just paid him and took it home. No slug... so I still have to find a good 'H' slug somewhere. Will probably put a peak kit in it.

A guy that was running a nearby booth selling aluminum JPole antennas stopped me... and was telling me that with a Bird you have to calibrate the "meter" AND the "slug" as a pair.... and that if you put another slug in.... it was no longer calibrated and only good for "relative" or "go/no go" power testing.

What do the rest of you think about that?

I personally would think that.... maybe they DO have to calibrate the meter... and maybe they have to calibrate the slug....... but I would think that each would be calibrated to a "standard" that would allow ANY "calibrated slug" to be put in a meter "that has been calibrated" and get the results expected.

I just humored him and worked my way out of the conversation and went on.

Anyway, I am happy to have it!!!!
If you have to calibrate the slug and the meter together every time you switch out slugs what's the point of having a set of slugs you can switch out?

Last edited:
Reactions: brandon7861

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.