• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not receiving well

JDWilbourn

Feb 10, 2007
Huntsville Al
The Uniden 76 I have is going good. Everyone I have talked to says it sounds great. I talked to a guy about 15 to 18 miles from the house and he told me I was talking over everyone he was talking to upthere. That was on channel 1. While talking on channel 19 I dont think that I'm receiving as well as I was on my cobra 25. Is this just my imagination or could it be I'm just not use to this radio? Can receiving be turned up?

yes it can be turned up if that is the case , I personally love the receive on Cobra 25s to any other AM only radio (that type of chassie anyway) , I've always felt that the ANL/NBs on 76 / 29 style radios acted like RF-Gains to a degree from one notch up to the next. The 25s don't do that.

anl (automatic noise limiter) Nb (noise blanker) the 25s anl is auto (always on) and the nb is switched on the radio , the 76/78/29s are both switched on the radios (3 way switch) , they are for taking out engine and other annoying noises that can come in to basically help us hear the incoming receive better (or so we can only hope) when I said I thought the 76s and 29s anl/nbs worked like a rf-gains to a degree , is that they slightly take away from the further stations that your trying to receive , it's as if you turned your rf-gain on the radio slighty, they still work as they should with taking out unwanted noises to a degree .This I have also found to be true on the Grant XLs LT's and older 148s ......IM no expert ,but I have experianced the experiance to many times over the years with those radios. I have always felt (or at least my ear holes have) that the 25s have better receive as far as anl/nbs are concerned on those other radios. Next time your out and about , find a channel with noise or other operators talking and start your anl/nb from the off position , and then take it up in steps , watch the needle and listen to the incoming RX , your needle should "slighty" go backwards on each step (just like as if you were to slightly turn the radios RF-gain control) in most vehicals , we need those anl/nbs , with all the junk they put in cars nowadays ,the noise can be a living hell to our cb receives . Some radios just deal better with it all , the other thing about cb radio noise blankers is that they will somewhat distort the way a person truly sounds , try it some time , when you are hearing or talking to somebody who is loud and clear , listen to them with your blankers on and off ,chances are they will sound much cleaner and clearer with them off. It's just a trade off that us motor driven cb'ers need , engine and noise coming from the antenna's can surely be a turn off and can surely be a radio operators nightmare.

I guess 19 has to much traffic but it just seems like that cobra 25 did better. Can I be receiving better on one channel over others, excluding 19 because of all the traffic?

the uniden has a better recieve allready. quieter. except when people talk it recieve them better. <<< that an opinion i know but its mine and im sticking to it. HAHAHA LOL

probly just like you said the conditions just were not with you at that time. sometimes its noisy and everyone will still ehar you others no one will come back. thats how the conditions roll.

it's really guess work on my part JD ,it really should be a even playing field as far as your receive goes on your radio , but there are many times on either lower or upper channels that there can be a disturbances , the nature of the beast if you will. You are more then probably right about your 25 receiving better .The only other way that you might find out for sure is to have your 76 benched by somebody who knows what there doing and they could tell you about your 76's receive , there's a pot in the radio that can be adjusted for more if need be.(or if that's even the problem to begin with ?) I've had many radios over the years that the receive had been on the low side of recieve and it just turned out to be an adjustment for the fix. Even though I personally think the 25 is the better receiving radio JD , the 76 is a very decent radio in itself ,it's just kind of hard to give you a answer without experiancing your problems first hand.......to FLN...........receive is one thing and noise is another and lack of receive ,especially in what cridicts call radios with good receive , is a problem. But like you said in a way , maybe he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time ? I honestly don't know .......I wasn't there.

After listening todayI guess its doing good. I just need to get use to it because I talked and they talked back for a about a mile or so after they passed me on channel 19 in Birmingham Al. If you,ve ever been thru there you know how load everyone is.

well just hang in there then JD (-: Oh yeah ,what kind of antenna are you using ? just wondered.

The ANL doesn't operate in the RF or IF stages, it operates at the audio stage after the demodulator. It doesn't effect the signal level of the radio. If you see a signal drop when you use JUST the ANL, there's a problem. The NB on the other hand DOES work at the RF level. Its designed to punch holes in the incoming signal when there is a specific type of noise pulse present in the signal. What it does is literally "blank" out the incoming signal for a tiny instant when the noise pulse is detected, which DOES show up as a slight signal level drop.

well , whatever the case may truly be , I've seen and heard those drops via meters and my ear hole , this doesn't seem "as much" concerning base stations with base antenna's, but in vehical operations I've just experianced the experiance to many times concerning all the radios I had mentioned , even the 148s and Grants which are concedered some of the best receiving AM/SSB radios. Vehicals tend to move all the time , base stations don't go very far except for when the wind crys Mary ,and even then , we really aren't talking about that much. Noise is noise any way I read it on my meter or hear it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.