• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not sure which topic to use for post?

Jul 1, 2006
Hi all, I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago and have some questions about a particular unit(Superstar 121 mobile radio). my close pal recently purchased this unit and was wanting to attempt peaking/tuning. He has some experience from tuning a Connex and two Galaxy mobiles so maybe you can help him through this. Him and I have tried searching around on the net for info on this unit but unsuccessful. Wasn't sure where to direct my post but I decided to put it under radio modifications prior. Hope someone can help us with this. Thanks

cb tricks.com should have all the information you need. There is alot more to tuning a radio then twisting afew pots. I would suggest a good tech with the proper gear but thats just me.

Hmmm. Another orphan radio.

Kinda like the Superstar 3000 from a few years back. Made by RCI, main board marked "EPT3000....". No schemo, parts-placement diagram, or parts for that matter. This one is probably smuggled in from France, via a company named "Durland".

Your radio should have a number on the main circuit bard that starts with the ID "EPT1210", followed by two digits, and two or three more letters.

CB Tricks has the Superstar 120 on it, but the main board and PLL chip are both radically different. Not at all like your radio. Don't think it was built by the same factory.

Haven't tried a Google search on the main-board number in a while, but the tech data for it is just, plain obscure.

I'd suggest that if you want to learn about modifying radios, start with the five-or ten-dollar mobiles at the neighborhood flea markets.

This one is not a good choice for "learning by doing". Not enough of them around to ask advice if things go wrong. With no diagram, even a pro might have difficulty if you accidentally sabotage something.

A radio that you can get diagrams, parts and advice for would be a wiser choice for a "DIY" mod project.

I don't think it's a problem radio by far !! , I had one for a breif time and it talked and did 30 watts pep Hi and Low , The one I had ,had a black face on it . I think what Nomads trying to say that it might be best for you to have a certified guy look at it if need be. This is the 121 I had and I personally thought it had balls !! Good Audio and receive as far as I was concerned. I think your buddy has a decent radio there General.SUPERSTAR 121

Yeah, SwicthKit, you got my drift, alright. Didn't mean to sound as if I was bad-mouthing the radio. It shares nearly all the design traits of the SSB/AM/FM RCI-made radios built in the larger chassis. They basically shrunk the "EPT3600" radio sold by the millions, by completely leaving out all the SSB stuff, rather than just leaving the holes empty where the SSB parts go. That's how the two-digit Galaxy DX 33/44/55/66 radios are built, using the SSB circuit board and chassis, with only the AM/FM parts installed.

Same underlying design, same folks fabricating it, but with a different schematic, different parts callout IDs/locations.

Nothing a seasoned tech can't make sense out of with some thought and attention.

Not a good choice as a "starter" project. The more explicit, complete the tech data is, the better chance a "civilian" has.

Without that resource to guide you, that model is safer to put in the hands of a pro for any technical work or modifications.

When it works right, it should sound just like a million other AM/FM-only RCI-made radios.

SuperStar_121.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    No conditions woodstown NJ.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place