• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NTE Rotor

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
Does anyone use an NTE 3-wire rotor ? I am wondering which wire- green, red, black goes on screw 1-2-3 on the box from the rotor .

Ok, got the wiring right. Now a new problem. The rotor has always been used in my attic with no problems. Today I mounted it on the roof. After getting the wiring right I worked the box. The problem I am having is that it turns right to left fine all the way around. But left to right it goes a little distance and hangs. Any suggestions as to the problem ?

Maybe take the rotor itself apart and do some maintenance cleaning?
Contacts, lubrication, and alignment come to mind.
It been a few decades since I last had used a rotor. But they all need maintenance at some point - especially after some years of use.

Sounds like maybe a calibration issue. I'll look back at the link I posted and see if there is something like that. I am assuming that by hangs you mean stops turning and is not in a bind?

Just checked the manual. Try to "resynchronize" the two units and see if that works. Unless it is getting in a bind this should fix your problem.

I did that several times and it is the same. I took the rotor off the tripod and opened the bottom to watch while activated. I found one way as I mentioned works flawless but the other direction about every 1/4 of the dial will hang up. The motor in the rotor still is running when this happens. I can take hold and give a light twist and it will take off. It's like the gears quit at a certain point just in that direction. One thing I found is if I go that direction in small increments it will work its way all the way around. But if I turn the dial in big swings say a 1/4 of a dial or more that direction it will hang up. Sort of like the gears lose their mesh .

Wow.
That is what I thought was happening. If you are the adventurous kind, then you may have to carefull clean out the gearbox and see what is worn. Finding replacement bushings might be difficult. But I would do that before it has a chance to ruin your gearset. Then, you will need to replace the whole unit if it is that far gone.

What I can't figure out is that I never had a problem. It hasn't been used in any wind. It has only been used for a light 2m yagi. Just has me puzzled why it would start out of the blue.

One of Murphy's Laws: It ain't gonna break or give problems until you really get ready to use it. There is most probably a gear with the teeth worn down on one side of the teeth. This would account for it turning one way and stopping at the other as the other side of the tooth is ok..........kinda like the rear sprocket on a motorcycle does.

Well, I tore it down. Sure enough had some flat spots on one gear. I tried grooving them back in but it didn't work. Boy those little ball bearings were rough getting back in ! Guess it's time for a new one.

There is a place I can get a Magnavox M61415 rotor motor without having to buy the control. It is a universal 3-wire motor but they are sold out. $29 .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.