• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ocfd question

The20poundhammer

May 23, 2016
McKee Ky
Guys i am a old radio guy but new to the world of HF. I am in the process of putting up another tower with a beam on it. Untill thats up i am putting up an ocfd. I am not sure if i can get it in an inverted v or not. It may be a little more of an L shape. Is this something that will work or not. Thanks for the info.
Thanks Tim

Reactions: NZ8N

Any other comments? I am going to get the feed point at about 55 to 60 feet up. How far off the ground do the ends need to be? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tim

I run an original Fritzel FD-4 for 1500 watts 1:6 balun with 1:1 behind that at 40 feet up ends sloping down a bit to 33 feeet works fine from 80 to 10 and eben 6 meters works fine.

4:1 , 27% 65' up .approx 126' total length.
https://kitsandparts.com/
I didn't screw around. I got the 2 1/4"
#11 AWG (CTL) PTFE TFE - SPAGHETTI from MSC direct.
#12 or #14ga wire. I have a bit of current to deal with so #12

Message_1464810251750.jpg
balun_guanella_current_1-4_image02.png

Last edited:
Any other comments? I am going to get the feed point at about 55 to 60 feet up. How far off the ground do the ends need to be? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tim

My wire antenna ends are both just a few feet off of the ground because I had to put them where I had someplace to tie them off & I have zero issues & I have not for many years.

SIX-SHOOTER

I have on of the Maxcon antennas on the way should be here today. This is the first wire antenna i have ever fooled with so forgive my ignorance lol. I assume as most antennas higher is better and if i can keep the ends higher off the ground the better?

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
I have on of the Maxcon antennas on the way should be here today. This is the first wire antenna i have ever fooled with so forgive my ignorance lol. I assume as most antennas higher is better and if i can keep the ends higher off the ground the better?

Just don't make them as high as the center & you are just fine.One of mine is an Inverted V & the other is a half Sloper.They both work great when I use them but I am usually on my HF yagi on 10,12,15,17,& 20 so the wire can't keep up with the (5) band yagi but they do take care of 40,60,75,& 160 meters.

SIX-SHOOTER

Well there is going to be an HF yagi up soon as i get this tower in the ground when it dries up. One side of this wire will be higher than yhe other due to the way the ground lays. I have been working HF on my 11 meter quad so hope this will be an improvement over that till i can get the Mosley up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated