• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ocsillscope hook up

mikestoffels

Mar 15, 2015
hi I'm looking for some help on the safest way to hook up my ocsillscope to a Cb radio never done it but am during to try and see the mod as I adjust it any help

Make a common mode choke around your coax. Get some magnet wire and wrap it around the coax. I use wire that I salvage from old computer power supplies. You don't need to worry about how many turns. Put as many as you can and keep it tight and don't let it spread out too far. The more turns the larger your signal will be on the scope.
Be sure to have clean copper and tin it with solder. Clip the center of your probe to one side and the signal ground to the other and you have a non-invasive signal point.

Reactions: My3kidsfather
hi I'm looking for some help on the safest way to hook up my ocsillscope to a Cb radio never done it but am during to try and see the mod as I adjust it any help

Same thread recently started over here;

http://www.mauldroppers.com/showthread.php?22276-50-Modulation-Monitor-Device

attachment.php

Last edited:
Reactions: My3kidsfather
Depends on what you want to look at on the scope. If you just want a random waveform that does not really give you detailed information then an inductive type of probe can be used like posted above.

My self I use a RF sampler with a demodulator port. This way I see boath carrier and modulation on different channels on the scope. If your scope has X/Y mode you can see a trapizoid wave form also.

I pug the rf sampler to channel 1 and the demodulator to channel 2. I set the channel 2 to ride on top of the channel 1 rf carrier.
I can post pics of the finished device and some screen shots of it being used if needed.

If you go on youtube and search for monitoring you ham radio from W2AEW you can see this circuit in action. I have been using it for years.

Here is the part list and schematic. Very simple to build.

Parts list
Small case or 1 inch by 4 inch double sided circuit board
4- BNC chassis mount connectors (if you want you can use 2 SO-239 for RF in and out and 2 BNC for sample and demod)
1- 0.10 uf cap
1 - 10 pf cap
1 – 1000 pf cap
2 – 1N34A geranium diodes (1N60 will work)
1 – 690K resistors
1 - 47K resistors
1 – 1K resistors
Resistors can be ¼ watt since we are only using this to monitor 100 watts and down.

index.php

Attachments

• sampler-detector.JPG
    sampler-detector.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 38
I built a RF sampler for my spectrum analyser so I didn't blow the crap out of the input. They're not incredibly hard or expensive to make.

Depends on what you want to look at on the scope. If you just want a random waveform that does not really give you detailed information then an inductive type of probe can be used like posted above.

My self I use a RF sampler with a demodulator port. This way I see boath carrier and modulation on different channels on the scope. If your scope has X/Y mode you can see a trapizoid wave form also.

I pug the rf sampler to channel 1 and the demodulator to channel 2. I set the channel 2 to ride on top of the channel 1 rf carrier.
I can post pics of the finished device and some screen shots of it being used if needed.

If you go on youtube and search for monitoring you ham radio from W2AEW you can see this circuit in action. I have been using it for years.

Here is the part list and schematic. Very simple to build.

Parts list
Small case or 1 inch by 4 inch double sided circuit board
4- BNC chassis mount connectors (if you want you can use 2 SO-239 for RF in and out and 2 BNC for sample and demod)
1- 0.10 uf cap
1 - 10 pf cap
1 – 1000 pf cap
2 – 1N34A geranium diodes (1N60 will work)
1 – 690K resistors
1 - 47K resistors
1 – 1K resistors
Resistors can be ¼ watt since we are only using this to monitor 100 watts and down.

index.php
I don't think I need to make anything I have all sorts of probes and a dummy load audio gen and rf gen just not sure how to use then together

Thanks to all I don't think I need to make anything I have probes and dummy load rf gen and audio gen just need help on hooking it up to radio please

Thanks to all I don't think I need to make anything I have probes and dummy load rf gen and audio gen just need help on hooking it up to radio please

Well, that is why you came asking for direction. And it was given to you. Just because you have the equipment and you are set in your mind that you need nothing else then there is nothing we can do or tell you.

So you should just get a multi watt meter that has a modulation meter built in. See where I am going here? Even that meter has a circuit built into it to pick off the modulation. If not the RF would blow the meter up.

Same with your scope. You need a circuit to pick off the modulation and feed it to your scopes input. This way the rf is blocked and you can see the modulation with out blowing the front end of your scope up.

Sorry if I sound a little blunt.

Well thanks again I'll have to do some more homework as I don't understand most of what you are telling me... Thanks just the same. Just was looking for a answer . in my mind it is easy were do I put probe to see mod on speaker wire or the pin to ant.... Lol

If you don't feel like making something or don't want to pay over $100 for the fancy FR Sampler with demodulator (and since MDs is down more than it's up lately) here is the link to a nice $50 coaxial "T" adapter/ RF Sampler that allows you to connect your coax to a BNC cable directly to the O-scope without burning out your radio or the scopes input for monitoring your radio's modulation. Shop around for the best price on the following:

You'll need one of these-
http://rfsearch.rfindustries.com/ShowProduct.asp?classID=30&productID=27710

And two of these, depending on the coax connectors you want to use-
http://rfsearch.rfindustries.com/ShowProduct.asp?classID=19&productID=4034

Warning: You may smell smoke if you try to hook the antenna out jack on the radio directly to the O-scope, frequency counter or function generator, ect while the radio is keyed.

*A regular straight thru $2 "T" connector will not work. See above warning.

**Specifications are subject to change without further notice and are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement of intellectual property rights.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.