• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Oh, to know more Hams like this man

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
A great comment about a recent silent key-

REMEMBERING NB0X “JON FROM NIXA”

I never met the man. Didn’t even know what he looked like.

But to hear his voice on amateur radio was a unique, special joy.

NB0X (en-bee-zero-ex)…Jon, from Nixa, Missouri… was known and respected by innumerable Ham Radio operators from around the world for his pleasant manner, engaging personality, always helpful demeanor, and unique Ozark accent and pleasing sense of humor.

And he was very technically talented too, much more than his modest personality would disclose. He held an Extra Class operator’s license.

Jon especially liked to ‘hang out” on the relatively new medium of the marriage of Ham Radio and Voice over IP (Internet Protocol), that made it possible for hams from anywhere in the world to individually or in groups link up for a QSO. And his legendary presence in the eQSO 101English room, and on Echolink, was always looked forward to by his many friends from around the world. He will be missed very much.

You see, Jon R. Fitzpatrick… NB0X… Nixa, Missouri… stood out from the rest of us. He was special. And we all are better for knowing him.

NB0X became a Silent Key on Saturday, September 16, 2006 at his home in Nixa, Missouri, after suffering a short illness.

[ See http://php.newsleader.com/Announc....rd=fitz ]

This week in the 101English room on eQSO Jon’s friends were mourning his loss.

“You know, if I woke up in the morning in a bad mood or just not feeling well,” Tim from Durham, UK said, “I would hear Jon in a QSO, and just the sound of his voice would make me feel 100% better. This is a terrible loss.”

Tom SP4YPB from Poland, an articulate gentleman from Bialystok who also happens to be whitestick operator, added, “I am shocked. I don’t have words to express [my sorrow],” as he tried to regain his composure. Moments later he shared how Jon would read various articles to him privately on new medical news regarding regaining one’s eyesight, and how Jon was trying to see if there was anything that could be done to help his fellow Ham across the pond in Poland.

These are only two brief recollections of Jon. There are hundreds more of similar nature.

I know that ALL his fellow hams from around the world… hundreds of them, if not more... join me in extending our heartfelt sympathy to Jon’s family for their loss.

Hopefully, they will have some comfort in knowing that their son, their brother, their uncle, their cousin, their father… NB0X JON NIXA, MISSOURI was indeed a VERY special human being who brought many hours of joy, help, and hope to many, many people from around the world.

73, Jon, my friend. Rest in peace.

Catch you again soon somewhere down the log.

KC2FMH/OK1
Larry Goodsite
Prague, Czech Republic

I first spoke to Jon 3 years ago and I too learned this morning of this great loss to amateur radio. I would hear many times guys from the UK in their 1st qso with him and straight away Jon would remember other ham's who lived close to them. He was a tonic to listen and talk too.

I shall certainly miss my qso's with him.

He even sang a song for my daughters 10th birthday a few weeks ago, what a great guy.

My deepest sympathies to Jon's family and friends.

John G0VGZ UK

http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=133187

my local hams were on 2mtr's talking about NB0X passing,
he must have been a popular guy around the world from what they were saying.

This Ham operator seems like he was a credit to the hobby and a special human being. My greatest sympathy goes out to his family and friends. I'm sure he touched the hearts of many.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.