• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ok, put it on me 2995DX

Cat Driver

Feb 2, 2007
Lake of The Ozarks
I guess I'm gonna get one in the next week or so and I was wondering how juice can I get out of it on am (DK an Swing) after it is tuned up. I think I'll use my d-104 silver eagle on it too. Any other good points also.

I've done heard all the bad points, so no need to get into that.

Ron B.
ol'fart

Well good luck with the thing Cat. They are mighty nice looking but for the money you could easily get a real decent used ham HF rig, have 100 watts and the all the HF bands, not just the upper end. Plus the HF rig will have a much better receiver section. Anyway, good luck!

Well good luck with the thing Cat. They are mighty nice looking but for the money you could easily get a real decent used ham HF rig, have 100 watts and the all the HF bands, not just the upper end. Plus the HF rig will have a much better receiver section. Anyway, good luck!

Well I read that in one of your other posts, but didn't know which Icom you were talking about. Can they be tuned to the cb freqs?

Put some ideas in me feller, I'm always open to other opinions, especially spending this much....

Ron
ol'fart

Hi Cat....
You can crank that thing all the way up to almost 100w dead key...but I wouldn't. It should do 175-200 reasonably clean watts after it's been all gone through. Key it at about 30-35 and let it swing.
preacherman

Heya Cat,

Tell us exactly what is you want a radio to do. Then we can point you towards a best setup for that purpose and for the least money.

Sounds like you want a big time AM talking base station...with extra power of course.

Your cheapest bet could be a peaked and tuned Cobra 29 pushing a 2-300 watt amplifier. Very loud, big signal, and considerably cheaper than that 2995. Just one option. I'm sure the other guys will have more ideas for ya.

The 2995 is also a 10 meter ham radio. That portion you'll never use, but you're still having to pay for it up front. No need to pay for any features or capabilities that you're really not interested in using.

interview.gif

"Sounds like you want a big time AM talking base station...with extra power of course."

Yeah,, Thats pretty much it and a little sideband once in awhile. Right now I've got a Galaxy DX 2547 thats been tuned up with a D-104, KLV-203 100 watt box, an A Maco V-58 Antenna Up in the air quite abit. I talk real good now, I just think I should be able to hear a little better IMO.

Thinkin maybe a maco or ameco preamp might help the ears, or might overload the front end also...?

Truth known ,I'd probably be better off with a small 3 or 4 element beam to go with my V-58...

Ron
ol'fart

Well there go Ron. That 2547 you have is an awesome looking radio for real. I'd stay with that and get a beam. Anything else might be a larger amp... You're good to go bro

interview.gif

Last edited:
$500 icom .
Texas Towers, Icom IC-718 Page

guys seem to have problems blowing the power supplys in some ranger base radios . i wouldnt try to get 200 watts out of two 2290's .

Do ya hafta do anything to it to get the cb channels or can you just tune to'em? And is that 100 watts everywhere or just sideband.

One more thing, can I use my d-104 on it?

Thanx Feller,
Ron
ol'fart

Typically its 90-100 ssb and carrier of 35 watts with about 75 watts AM. All you need to do is a very easy mod to get open tx on all freqs. And yes you can wire in your d104.

Sounds like your safest bet is to get a nice 300-500 watt amp and use a standard ssb AM cb. unless you talk freeband or are a ham I wouldnt spend the money on the ranger or any hf radio. You can find plenty cobra 148s and use them, or if you do do free band get a galaxy 93t or magnum 257 type rig. Both have good recievers

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.