• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old Codra worth making mods..???

Straightshooter58,
I'm personally not a big fan of the new technology. Too hard to look at a circuit board and understand what is going on and where....And Menu's-those are for restaurants. I will take control knobs and toggle switches any day. Much easier for me to operate.

For me, it is worth making repairs and/or refurb/refresh and modifications. I would take it in a heartbeat.
Just sayin'

73's
David

Technology hasn’t changed much in the basic circuits of the radio. That radio has tons of mods for it. Most shops should be able to help you

Reactions: S&W357
I would NOT ask for a 'peak and tune'. A full alignment is better than any simple 'peak and tune' would accomplish. If he cannot perform a full alignment or won't; then I would go somewhere else for that much money.

Have a Old Cobra 142GTL(stock radio) is it worth making mods on this radio...considering its age..and since technology has improved since it was made 40-45 years ago? Thank You.
I personally am NOT a fan of mods on ANY CB Radio no matter the age. I am Old School & I like my radios stock if at all possible. If the modulation is down some & a power microphone does not help then do what it takes (short of clipping it) & get the transmit audio out of the noise but that's pretty much it. I don't care for ANY export CB Radios either. I own over 100 CB Radios & among them I have (1) RCI 2950 & it was given to me by a friend who passed away late last year. It won't hold any memories but works otherwise but I will never use it for more than a shelf sitter. I would not give $1.00 for any export CB & if I buy a CB & find it has mods I get rid of it pretty quickly if possible. ZERO interest in anything with mods. I have plenty of extra band space on the HF Bands & don't need or want any on the 11 meter band.

SIX-SHOOTER

UpDate on Old Cobra 142GTL that I bought from a Old Ham friend of mine. He said that the radio was in a shed for over 25 year and was working last time it was used.
Took it to the Tech I was told to go to by several friends, He cleaned to radio and replaced a switch for other channel..told me the radio was in very good condition, the clarifier was opened some and a extra channel kit installed in the past..radios better than others he has seen..wired up my old D-104 to it..about 11 on am/16 on ssb..
needless to say I'm Happy about the whole thing..and the tech charged me only $45.
Next for me is to put that Beam back up..and something to warn the feet!

Reactions: Dmans and S&W357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.