• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

old Midland cb's

Pman62

Nov 20, 2017
I was wondering how the old Midland cb's stacked up as far as quality. Models such as; 13-857, 13-882 ect. I'm asking this because I came across a bunch of old cb's in a "lot" of electronics stuff. I know most of them are only 23 channel, but am wondering if they would be worth the trouble of giving them the once over to get them working.

Last edited:

they are only worth it if you want to own restored midland radios.

if they were mine i would remove any useful parts and toss them.
LC

Reactions: unit_399
Some, 23 channel vintage, Midland radios were produced by Uniden, such as the PC-300 series Midland 13-893 (virtually same as Cobra 138 (early model) and 139 base station), good for vintage SSB thrills on the cheap, just add a "frequency" mod of some kind and you'd have a banging radio..

In my opinion not all Midlands models are worth restoring though, some really cheap models have been sold over the years; the Midland name is not generally associated with quality or power like the Cobra name and so they tend not to command much money, unless they are desirable models..?!

Last edited:
Not so different from asking if a 1975 car was a good one.

The 23-channel Midland models you mention were made by a contractor named "Cybernet", located in Japan.

Those models were as good as any 23-channel AM mobiles at the time. And there were a lot of utterly JUNK 23-channel radios sold during the 23-channel boom period.

But just because your 1975 Duster was a reliable daily driver for a year or two means nothing 40-plus years later.

The radios won't need tires, hoses, belts, seals, bushings, gaskets, carpet and seat covers.

The mileage would dictate how long one of these radios might work before the first "age-related" breakdown. A true NIB radio might be good for a year. Or maybe a month. Hard to predict.

A radio that traveled 80,000 miles in a dump truck will be a different story.

But making any radio that old into a daily driver will call for replacement of *ALL* the electrolytic capacitors. Moving parts are a wild card. After you clean the switches and rotary controls, one or more of them may still cut in and out. Another mileage kind of thing to consider. A control or switch that cuts in and out after cleaning will just have to be replaced. Wear and tear has a big influence on the life of moving parts.

The question isn't about whether or not it will need "40-year maintenance". It's about how soon. The higher the mileage, the sooner that will be.

Reactions: LeapFrog
The Midlands you mentioned were "ok" and nothing to write home about. Not because of the name but because they were based off of the Cybernet chassis. And many bargain store radios also were. (i.e. Kraco, Colt, Boman, etc)

However some Midlands did use the Uniden chassis such as the Midland 13-893 and it's 40 channel counterpart, the Midland 77-893. Either of these radios weigh quite a bit for a mobile, and have those cool crystal filters inside.

I had a Midland 77-838 with 40 channels. It has a good receiver with clear audio (better than Cobra 87GTL base) and clipping one resistor allows forward swing to a healthy 16 watts. It has clear transmit audio too. It drove my two small 6JM6 tube linear to 220 watts! Nice CB set.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.