• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old radio shack base antenna

silver devil

BANNED
Dec 11, 2010
I found in my stash (forgot i still have it) a bluish green 1/2 wave radio shack crossbow antenna. Does anyone know anything about it? IIRC the last time i tested it it had a mediocre match on 11 meters...

I have that exact same antenna. It is a Shakespeare Big Stick made for Radio Shack. It was sold under the Archer brand. The MBAs must have gotten bonuses for that one: the Crossbow sold by Archer. Real clever.

Mine is right at 35 years old. It is not the best talker, but it continues to work reliably. My SWRs are just about flat all across the CB band. The only reason I took it down yesterday is because we had to evacuate for the impending Hurricane Irma.

These antennas supposedly can't handle any power. That's fine with my barefoot set up, but it will cause problems for anyone running any kind of juice. I've heard stories of as little as 50 watts toasting the internal matching network.

Being made of fiberglass, The Crossbow will delaminate over time. I've always wrapped mine in automotive loom. Others paint or varnish theirs for the same reason: to protect the fiberglass. That keeps the UV off of the antenna, which is probably why mine has lasted this long.

Thanks, Riverman.

They are now saying that this area (lower Keys) will likely just see some wind gusts. It seems the area between Key Largo and Miami is where the serious action will be.

Well i hooked it up today to an old POS Royce am base (no i don't like Royce stuff) and an swr meter and gave it a test.. Match was better than what i expected and was well under a 2.1 all 40 ch.

Some days you watch the news. These past few days, we are the news.

You've seen some of the images on t.v. It is so bad that residents of the lower Keys have not been allowed back because there was no water service, no operable sewer service and no electricity. Upper Keys residents down to mile marker 74 (Keys started at about 106 on the north end) were allowed back a couple of days ago. Lower Keys residents will be allowed back starting tomorrow at 7:00A.M. We'll have to go through a checkpoint at the 7 Mile Bridge where we'll have to show proof of residency. We have to bring water, food, generator, etc, 'cause there isn't hardly any infrastructure to support you.

Many homes have been totaled. Many others have significant damage- some by wind, others by water and some by both. We were able to bug out to our Miami house, where the power was out until today. Consider us fortunate. Lots of folks put their life's savings into buying a house they could afford to retire in down here. Real estate is expensive down here. It is difficult to see the losses many of our friends and neighbors are facing.

That said, the Conchs (Keys locals) are a resilient breed. It won't be easy, but we'll bounce back.

Apologies to Silver Devil and others for high-jacking this thread.

Riverman, thanks for asking.

Some days you watch the news. These past few days, we are the news.

You've seen some of the images on t.v. It is so bad that residents of the lower Keys have not been allowed back because there was no water service, no operable sewer service and no electricity. Upper Keys residents down to mile marker 74 (Keys started at about 106 on the north end) were allowed back a couple of days ago. Lower Keys residents will be allowed back starting tomorrow at 7:00A.M. We'll have to go through a checkpoint at the 7 Mile Bridge where we'll have to show proof of residency. We have to bring water, food, generator, etc, 'cause there isn't hardly any infrastructure to support you.

Many homes have been totaled. Many others have significant damage- some by wind, others by water and some by both. We were able to bug out to our Miami house, where the power was out until today. Consider us fortunate. Lots of folks put their life's savings into buying a house they could afford to retire in down here. Real estate is expensive down here. It is difficult to see the losses many of our friends and neighbors are facing.

That said, the Conchs (Keys locals) are a resilient breed. It won't be easy, but we'll bounce back.

Apologies to Silver Devil and others for high-jacking this thread.

Riverman, thanks for asking.

Sending you a PM.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.