• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old school Cobra 29LTD Classic ?

Chipmunk

Sep 30, 2022
I found one of these old radios, it seems to be in good shape, want to use it on a base setup, and going to run a D-104 desk mic on it, ok question I have this mic should make radio loud enough without adding a swing kit, or anyother mods shouldn't it ?....

"Swing kit" is an over hyped sorta thing. If you'll use the radio barefoot, there's no advantage to this. The reality behind the hype has only to do with running an amplifier. Linears tend to exaggerate the carrier power and underemphasize the modulation peaks. This tend to reduce your audio quality. Modifying the radio to deliver full peak modulated power with the carrier power reduced will compensate for this. Makes the signal from the amplifier sound more like it did when it came out of the radio. And yes, if you turn the carrier way down it makes the meter needle kick in a satisfying way.

Just one drawback. Someone out in the boonies who can just hear you above the noise needs enough carrier that he can tell when you unkey. If your carrier is below his noise level, but your audio is above it, there is an annoying "pumping" sound as your syllables come in and out of the noise. That, and he can't tell when you unkey just by how the carrier changes the noise level, if it's BELOW the noise level. All that swing works against you on the outer fringe of your transmit range.

But yeah, people like to see that needle kick when they speak.

And if you do plan on running a linear this is the mod for you. The parts to make 5 of the kits can be purchased for about the same price as the kits are sold. the kit I bought had poor instructions and I found this diagram and started doing my own kits.Screenshot_2023-02-25-09-32-24.png

Nice, well the 29, the tech put a swing kit in it, and lowered the deadkey......I'd never ran a radio with a swing kit in it always ran a D-104 mic on the radios......the tech made me a video of the 29, and was shocked it was still a stock radio, all nice and clean inside didn't no what to think....hard to say what the guy did with this radio, but it's still stock other than a swing kit in it....even the limiter was still in it...

The Uniden, is a PC66XL, it too is stock, it's in new condition....I'll just put the D-104 on it for now, and run a hand mic on the 29.........I like these old school radios, thanks for the info...

Reactions: Holydvr
Have a question for u guys....
This Cobra 29LTD Classic I got, even tho a tech looked at it, ect.....the receive seems to be a little lower than on another cb I have here, what would cause this ?
I'm sure the radio hasn't been hooked up to power for sometime, this cause any issues ?

Have a question for u guys....
This Cobra 29LTD Classic I got, even tho a tech looked at it, ect.....the receive seems to be a little lower than on another cb I have here, what would cause this ?
I'm sure the radio hasn't been hooked up to power for sometime, this cause any issues ?
i may just need a receive alignment, Id that doesent fix It could be a bad can on the receive side. A good preamp could work as a band aid fix. also some radios have better receive than others even when aligned properly.

Reactions: RCIGuy and Holydvr

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio