• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old school president Grant DX PC 999 board

Why would you want too?

of all the ssb export radios Uniden/President made the Grant has the nicest punchiest AM of all (imo), you could listen to someone talk on a Grant all day and never tire of its AM tx audio.

Swing mod,what for,set it as close to 100% modulation as you can with an 8 watt carrier and watch that baby swing to almost 32 watts with very little if any distortion from those matched pair of 2sc1969 or 2sc2312's.

Not sure if you guys had a single final version Grant,I'm sure you did and I'd expect it might even out compete the export versions, having never got hold of one I can't be sure, but if I recall it was the same board as the legendary cobra 148 gtl.

Why destroy such beauty ?

I read your post before I put the link to radionuts sight. I asked what PLL it has in the radio. also I told you this is all that can be found on the radio you have unless it has another PLL in it. I have a friend that has been repairing radios at his shop for over 40 years and he does not know of a swing mod or NPC mod you asked for. he said the radio is about as good as you can get it. it should have good swing and audio as it is unless there is some bad electro caps in it , such as 10 volt caps get weak at the age of your radio.

I finally found a pc999 schematic. it shows your radio to have a 8719 pll. without having a picture of the circuit board to see the layout. I looked at the schematic and if you lift the leg of r279 the right one and put a 1n4001 in series with it should give you more swing. looks as if it would lower the dead key and swing more.put the cathode end in the open hole you pulled one leg of r279 out of. solder the diode and resister together at the top. its worth a try. not responsible for any problems you may incounter doing the mod. I am not aware of your experiance with radio mods. which I feel is not much since you are asking what to try.

this should work simular to the galaxy R238 diode mod.

I have been working on radios, antennas, and amps for well over 20 years and do mods to pretty much any radio that's out there. I also hold a degree in electronics and also work on computers. I'm not familiar with this board so i came on here to ask... I did do the mod and it does work well and really woke up the old girl..

I only wanted an answer and help. I didn't come on here to get questioned over my abilities with electronics!

I have been working on radios, antennas, and amps for well over 20 years and do mods to pretty much any radio that's out there. I also hold a degree in electronics and also work on computers. I'm not familiar with this board so i came on here to ask... I did do the mod and it does work well and really woke up the old girl..

glad the diode mod helped to bring it up so it would get out better. I assume you did the one I told you about?
not questioning your ability to do any thing. just so many try to do mods and burn their radios up. a guy on another forum has damaged more radios due to his lack of knowledge of soldering and component placement. then he wanted to point fingers at me because he did not do it right.

Staybolt did this mod lower the dead key and increase the modulation of your radio as I was comparing to the R238 mod does to a 360014 board. if it does I will make notes of it for future reference.

hmmmm.....now getting 30 watts out of a radio that was doing 22.....that really woke up the whole neighborhood ;)
you guys all saw the difference on your s-meters, right?

Yup woke up the entire neigborhood!!!! Yup YUP!!! Bled all 40 channels!!! LOLOLOL!!!!!

Yup woke up the entire neigborhood!!!! Yup YUP!!! Bled all 40 channels!!! LOLOLOL!!!!!

have you looked at it as far as doing the npc/rc mod ? it will not bleed as bad. this tells me the mod increased the modulation. if this is a problem is the limiter still intact.if you do the mod and pull the limiter it will give you too much modulation and cause this.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.