• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old Turner mic for a new mobile

2NC995

DAN
Feb 23, 2008
Coastal NC
Up front, I care about SSB only. Pretty much the only time I’m on AM is to find who’s bleeding on me :D

I have never played with any of the old Turner mics, but have recently ordered a +3B and +2 to try at home.

I’m half tempted to try one of the old Turner mobile mics just for the hell of it..and if it doesn’t work out, well, I still want a couple.

I’ve played the microphone game to death with my Lincoln II+ (current production mics) and finally decided that a modified D104 sounded the best (by a small margin) and that the factory mic sounded damn near as good, and had higher average power (and programmable buttons).

I don’t know the first thing about the old Turner mobile mics, but sorta-kinda want to try one or two. Looking at the M+2 and M+3. Cool old stuff.

Questions:

1. Any recommendations?

2. Do any of the mobile mics have the +3s legendary speech compression?

Thanks!

Turner Plus Three fanboy here. (y) Had a blue +2 decades ago and liked it also.

414344092.jpg

Can't go wrong with a Turner +3 base Mic..That's what I use on my Cobra 2000...

The older Turner hand Mic's are hit and miss at best...All of them are over 30 years old by now, and some closer to 45-50 years old...

I've had, and still have, a bunch of the M+2U's, Roadking 70's, 76, 60's, and M+3's just to name a few...all use a 7v battery (which can be sub'ed with a 12v A23 garage door opener battery....just have to bend the prongs in a bit)

Problem with these Mic's is the elements can be all dried out, so although they may work, they might not sound all that good either, which is why I said they are "hit and miss"....

Turner Plus Three fanboy here. (y) Had a blue +2 decades ago and liked it also.

Good to know.

Funny...the other day I was talking to my son on SSB. He’s never had a radio, and knows nothing at all. I changed from a stock mic to a D104, and said how’s that sound? He keyed up laughing, and said “Oh my God that sounds horrible”. He didn’t even know what I changed, so I’m not sure if he was just not used to the D104 sound, or if it truly sounded that bad! Power was barely cracked open, and the few checks I had done it sounded at least acceptable.

What I’ve noticed with these newer rigs, all three of mine show the best power on SSB using the factory mic. A steady tone may show the same power, but voice tends to peak half as high on a watt meter. Maybe an impedance match thing...I’m just not educated enough to know.

Reactions: S&W357
Folks usually say the Turner +3 mics sound loud and bassy (is that even a word?). I think all +3's do.

Lots of folks say D-104 mics sound loud and tinny. I think some do and some don't.

but then again, my opinion is worthless o_O

Reactions: 2NC995
Good to know.

Funny...the other day I was talking to my son on SSB. He’s never had a radio, and knows nothing at all. I changed from a stock mic to a D104, and said how’s that sound? He keyed up laughing, and said “Oh my God that sounds horrible”. He didn’t even know what I changed, so I’m not sure if he was just not used to the D104 sound, or if it truly sounded that bad! Power was barely cracked open, and the few checks I had done it sounded at least acceptable.

What I’ve noticed with these newer rigs, all three of mine show the best power on SSB using the factory mic. A steady tone may show the same power, but voice tends to peak half as high on a watt meter. Maybe an impedance match thing...I’m just not educated enough to know.
D 104's should sound good even on the newer rigs...I have one hooked up to a RCI 2980wx that sounds great!

Not sure how old your D 104 is, but like I was saying in my other post, the elements can go bad on older mics...Could be you need to upgrade your element inside the head of that D 104.

These are what I used on my D 104's...You just open the top up, and remove the original element and replace with the New HIFi element...There's also a resistor you will need to instal in the base, but the kit has everything you need, plus instructions anyone can follow...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/W2ENY-HiFi...766306&hash=item365071b058:g:u3YAAOSw3ydVtQpu

I was pretty surprised to hear his response! Thanks for the info on the element...I’m also wanting to pick up a 10DA head, or complete mic when the time is right!
I've got a couple I restored, and replaced the elements with that one I posted the link to on ebay...When I first got them, they looked like junk, the chrome was all pitted and the base was scratched up, and they had a tinny sound... I need to re-do the mic plug wiring again on the John Deere 104 tho, just haven't got around to it yet.

MVCPbh8.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.