• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Omega Force S 45 HP problem

That's why I said tape a piece of paper to the top of the case with what exactly is wrong. I had the same experience with a 257HP, on SSB. He said it was fine, yes it was on AM, SSB was the problem. 3rd time it got fixed correctly and yes Sam Lewis also did the UPS pickup from my house.

I've also had very good luck with Mountain View Electronics in Tennessee. They are also a Factory reapir for Magnum. Nice guys and quick turn around. Bob's in Stratenville PA had one of my radios 8 weeks and never even looked at it so don't send it there unless you bought it there.

The OmegaForce S454HP's are notorious for certain problems. There are some batches that suffer from very poor factory quality control, which shows up as poor solder joints and some improper wiring of the RFX75 module. I own an 'S45HP, and am familiar with most of the issues. The first thing one needs to do is go into the radio and carefully look for bad solder joints. This bad soldering comes from improper use of RoHS compatible solder and insufficient or improper heat. Carefully go over every suspect solder joint. There is another issue with the RFX75's: incorrect connection of the main +13.8 V input. On some radios this wire was incorrectly attached to a diode (protection diode?) which did not deliver enough voltage to the RFX75. This was changed to connect to proper 13.8VDC, and the output went up to proper full power. Also, make sure that the mic connectors are tight and secure. You may have to add a ground braid to the shell of the connectors to make a good ground. This should eliminate some hum issues.

Finally, there are some batches of radios, with poor internal grounding (due to bad solder joints) that exhibit microprocessor glitches that cause weird and unexpected symptoms, lock-ups and other odd problems. This sometimes requires going in and resetting the uP. Correcting the solder joint issue should cure this. As well, always make sure that the radio is connected to a DC supply, to allow static to drain away. Occasionally the uP will glitch anyway, but that is rare.

Once all the bad solder joints and ground issues are addressed, the radio should work like a champ.

had problems with echo last night the
switch was not working properly
just did what it wanted to do could
not control it so just shut it off hope
tonight it will act right.What should be
the dead key with power knob turned
all the way down to low and dead key
with knob on high and is it a problem to
set this internally just asking.

The OmegaForce S454HP's are notorious for certain problems. There are some batches that suffer from very poor factory quality control, which shows up as poor solder joints and some improper wiring of the RFX75 module. I own an 'S45HP, and am familiar with most of the issues. The first thing one needs to do is go into the radio and carefully look for bad solder joints. This bad soldering comes from improper use of RoHS compatible solder and insufficient or improper heat. Carefully go over every suspect solder joint. There is another issue with the RFX75's: incorrect connection of the main +13.8 V input. On some radios this wire was incorrectly attached to a diode (protection diode?) which did not deliver enough voltage to the RFX75. This was changed to connect to proper 13.8VDC, and the output went up to proper full power. Also, make sure that the mic connectors are tight and secure. You may have to add a ground braid to the shell of the connectors to make a good ground. This should eliminate some hum issues.

Finally, there are some batches of radios, with poor internal grounding (due to bad solder joints) that exhibit microprocessor glitches that cause weird and unexpected symptoms, lock-ups and other odd problems. This sometimes requires going in and resetting the uP. Correcting the solder joint issue should cure this. As well, always make sure that the radio is connected to a DC supply, to allow static to drain away. Occasionally the uP will glitch anyway, but that is rare.

Once all the bad solder joints and ground issues are addressed, the radio should work like a champ.
This why I will not buy another magnum radio...You buy something new, you don't expect to have these kind of problems...

Maybe a bad solder joint can be expected from time to time, but things wired wrong? Bad grounding? Sounds to me that there is no such thing as a "Quality Control Dept." at the Magnum Factory...Just throw stuff together, send it out, and let the Warranty Dept worry about the rest....:whistle:

Reactions: 222DBFL
I'm with you JJD, like that whole batch of 257HP radios that got here last year around november 2011. Myself and 3 friends all had problems. I can understand maybe 10% having an issue but with them it seemed the whole production run had audio issues on SSB

First after maybe the second day I had it hooked up, one morning I turned it on, and everything lit up like normal, only no RX or DX...Like the antenna was disconnected.

Jessee....did you ever find out what was causing this issue?

I just purchased a new S45HP and I'm having the same problems....except mine started doing this right out of the box - like you said it acts like the antenna is disconnected....except on mine there's not even the faint bit of white noise with the squelch open and the antenna connected....oh and mine also doesn't even put out any RF.

What happened to putting on this post serial numbers which pertain to bad ones or good runs ?? ? ? ? ? I'm thinking of getting one and darn close to pulling the trigger to purchase it ......

This one doesn't seem to be the latest batch as the serial # is 0908-182099

Retro

What happened to putting on this post serial numbers which pertain to bad ones or good runs ?? ? ? ? ? I'm thinking of getting one and darn close to pulling the trigger to purchase it ......

This one doesn't seem to be the latest batch as the serial # is 0908-182099

Retro

At this point if you have located a used mint or NOS radio in a shop buy it, the 257HP and Omega HP are very difficult to find any more. Even used half worn one's bring big money on E-Bay.

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
At this point if you have located a used mint or NOS radio in a shop buy it, the 257HP and Omega HP are very difficult to find any more. Even used half worn one's bring big money on E-Bay.

Yepper I ended up buying it, but only have one pic of it so far...

73's thanks for replying... Retro

Attachments

• Magnum S45HP I hope to win EBAY 1.JPG
    Magnum S45HP I hope to win EBAY 1.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 4
Jessee....did you ever find out what was causing this issue?

I just purchased a new S45HP and I'm having the same problems....except mine started doing this right out of the box - like you said it acts like the antenna is disconnected....except on mine there's not even the faint bit of white noise with the squelch open and the antenna connected....oh and mine also doesn't even put out any RF.
Just seen this post (sorry for the long wait in responding) but I never did find out what was causing the problems I was having...finally gave up on it after a couple months and moved on to a different radio (Galaxy)

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
Got that right Robb I run anything with an RFX75 on or about 50 to 55 watts with no issues what so ever. Sure than can do 70 watts all day long too but at 50 it gets a little warm, never backs down output and works great. :tongue:
How do you turn them down?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?