• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Omega Force S45hp

triple nickel

Dec 5, 2009
Christian County Mo.
Can I take the S45hp and run a Tx.Star 500v behind this radio ?? I know it can swing up to 80 watts. I do have a Tx.Star 667v and I don't think i could use that amp with the S45hp radio. Any comments would be helpful. Thank you.

You can make the TS500 work if you use the variable power control on the OmegaHP. I would not even try it with a 667, they are very much a low low drive amp.

I would not even try it with a 667, they are very much a low low drive amp.

Amen.
In today's world, the 667V is a amp ( ahhh CW transmitter) that is no longer needed.
The 667 was built for old 2.5/3 watt radios.
I do not like ANY amp with a built in driver, more trouble than they are worth.

Jeff

Amen.
In today's world, the 667V is a amp ( ahhh CW transmitter) that is no longer needed.

Jeff

I agree, and the 2x4 amplifier gets the "worst ever" idea award.

so the 2 pill driving a 2 pill amp stroker makes is a better idea than a 2 driving 4 amp ?

Amen.
73 Jeff
I couldn't agree more! Low-drive amps are worthless, unless you're running a very low power radio, and that means no "exports", or 10M radios.

High drive amps of any configuration is the way to go, and make sure they're Class AB. I use a couple of 4 X 2879 amps and they will handle up to about 50W (avg.) +/-. You could use the S45HP with it, as most S45HP only run about 50W average. Just crank down the RF power control on the S45, and you'll be OK.

An advantage of the high-drive amps is the increased headroom available. Even driving with a dual-final rig (running say, 25W PEP) is fine, as that will typically produce about 250 to 400W PEP, (approximately).

Last edited:
Can I take the S45hp and run a Tx.Star 500v behind this radio ?? I know it can swing up to 80 watts. I do have a Tx.Star 667v and I don't think i could use that amp with the S45hp radio. Any comments would be helpful. Thank you.

im running my s45hp into my tsdx500v with no problems. keep it on stx back the mic gain down and dk to 5w into amp and talk all day (y)
keep in mind it is going to drive the transistors real hard so, put a fan on it. im running a 70cfm fan. try not to do long keys or u will have marshmallow transistors in no time :)

the 4X2879 Tstar 500v i had would do 500 pep with 16-17 watts pep into it . it would do right at 600 watts pep with 21 watts pep into it . i cant imagine why anyone would want to put more than that into it .

but i gotta admit ....... it's pretty good business sense to sell someone a amp and pad it's input so that they need to buy a second amp or amp section to drive it . and , if all someone cares about is how far to the right a meter swings with no consideration to signal clarity or their neighbors electronics or folks on nearby channels ......... they are just perfect .

Booty, I was more concerned about the 1 watt swinging close to 80 watts pep into the 500v. I do not want to burn up a good amp. thanks for everyone's replies on this. i have a chance to trade my 667v for a 500v.

I have ordered an S45 HP from GI Joes on the 22/09/2011 and after speaking to them delivery was going to be " worst case scenario " of 3 weeks delay as none were in stock. I have checked my account and it is still pending but now the website states none available until December 2011.

Is Magnum having problems supplying this radio to the vendors?

Bruce

Never heard of this "nz bruce" place, if it's in some 3rd world country then it makes no sense at all to buy from there. I have seen that the new Magnums are sold out in most US shops.

Never heard of this "nz bruce" place, if it's in some 3rd world country then it makes no sense at all to buy from there. I have seen that the new Magnums are sold out in most US shops.

If its in a 3rd world country, wouldn't the people with the biggest weapons already looted the store ?

Sent from my Droid X .602GB Root, Tapatalk.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio