• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Omega Force s45HP

Personally, I wouldn't. I see close to 80 watts out on my S45HP. Your amp is only going to do about 140 watts out. And, it is really a low input amp, that shouldn't be driven with more than about 12 watts SSB. Even on the lowest setting for the S45HP, you'll probably overdrive the KL203. Not enough power difference for the effort, IMHO.

RT307

i agree . and to add to that you MIGHT be able to run a klv 500 mobile amp to it
would still have to run rf power down all the way though but the extra watts will be there

Gentlemen where would I run the power on this radio on ssb to run a kl203 amp ssb only.

Many thanks
Bobby

While I agree with what has been said you can try this. I have the 257HP and I did do this just for fun in SSB MODE ONLY once. I dialed the power down with the variable on the 257 for 12-14 watts peak, that drove my KL203 to about 150ish watts.

Doing that is far from ideal but it does work. Just be careful because if you make a mistake and leave the power up or go to AM that 203 won't last.

Reactions: 1 person
While I agree with what has been said you can try this. I have the 257HP and I did do this just for fun in SSB MODE ONLY once. I dialed the power down with the variable on the 257 for 12-14 watts peak, that drove my KL203 to about 150ish watts.

Doing that is far from ideal but it does work. Just be careful because if you make a mistake and leave the power up or go to AM that 203 won't last.

thats exactly how ya do it. i done it with my magnum omegaforce [non hp] all way
to the left was about 10-12 watts. perfect. used it on my palamar 225 no issuses

My 45HP is going well. Excellent audio and receive.

Since changing to a Super Penetrator 500 5/8th and decent coax my signals on the transmit and receive are so much better. A friend who lives only a kilometre from me stated that he has never seen my radio peak his meter until recently which coincided with the better coax. The radio has always been good, it is so much better now. I plan to lift the antenna another 4 metres which should get my signals out further.

I guess buying a mass produced radio these days is hit and miss but I have had absolutely no problems. I have never fiddled with it and it is as supplied to me by dd018 in Indonesia. Hi Dave.

cheers

Bruce

Reactions: 1 person

Since changing to a Super Penetrator 500 5/8th and decent coax my signals on the transmit and receive are so much better. A friend who lives only a kilometre from me stated that he has never seen my radio peak his meter until recently which coincided with the better coax. The radio has always been good, it is so much better now. I plan to lift the antenna another 4 metres which should get my signals out further.

I guess buying a mass produced radio these days is hit and miss but I have had absolutely no problems. I have never fiddled with it and it is as supplied to me by dd018 in Indonesia. Hi Dave.

cheers

Bruce
ive had great luck with 2 seperate magnums. curious what type of antenna did u have b4
the p-500??i think these magnums perfer to be stock than tinkered with[ my opinion]
my ONLY complaint is i much perfer to have continous tuning from a vfo knob than
a band selector but thats just me

Hot rod, I tend to adhere to , if its working don't fiddle, so the radio is the same as supplied. I used to have a 1/4 wave but the 5/8 is far better for local .

I had the 1/4 wave on the roof but the 5/8 is so much taller and it has 4 radials, but the performance of this radio is limited by the weakest link. Having an excellent antenna and thicker coax, the performance is improving.

Raising the antenna onto the roof should add another 4 or so metres, so the signals should get out further with this antenna.

I have been advised to look at getting a better microphone as comments is that at the moment I sound a little too 'bassey' . Not sure what microphone would compliment this S45HP.

Small steps.

Bruce

Bassy audio

Back off the mic gain a little or reduce the gain of the pot in the mic to see if that helps but the addition of the CP1 compressor in the S-45 does tend to make them bassy..especially to local stations.
If experimenting with another mic use the "other" 4 pin connector.
Need to be carefull with the 5 pin as one of the pins has power to drive the electret mic insert.

Back off the mic gain a little or reduce the gain of the pot in the mic to see if that helps but the addition of the CP1 compressor in the S-45 does tend to make them bassy..especially to local stations.
If experimenting with another mic use the "other" 4 pin connector.
Need to be carefull with the 5 pin as one of the pins has power to drive the electret mic insert.
Thanks for this. I opened up the mic , and thought, I have no idea what I am doing and then closed it up again. :D Looked a tad brittle in there. There was a hole through the little circuit board and I take it that may have been access to the adjuster??? I wonder if someone has done a vid of the mic gain adjusting from within the mic.

cheers

Bruce

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned