• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Once licensed what radio / band?

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
I have been into 11 meters for years and due to no dx and little local chatter I am thinking of getting my license but if I do what radio and band do I start with? I have had a few 10 - 12 meter radios in the past that where modified for 11 meters but I never heard anything outside of 11 meters except for 27.455 - 27.605 LSB. I don't want to spend my life savings on a radio and this will be a mobile setup that will be added next to my Uniden 980 SSB. I have been using hamtestonline.com for about 2 hours a day for 2 weeks and plan to test in the end of March.

Reactions: Tallman

With propagation down, the higher bands above 20 MHz are sporadic at best. This will continue for a while even when the next solar cycle begins in 2019.

Even the bands below 20 MHz aren't great with long Dx but are workable and stateside prop is still there.

A good starting radio for HF is the Yaesu 450D, it's a bit large for a mobile but many people do use it as such. There is also the Yaesu 891 which is a mobile HF radio.

There is always the used market and some nice older radio's can be bought there. The Kenwood TS-50 is a good choice for a true mobile HF radio and usually sells for $500 or less. The Icom 706 and 7000 are good but will cost more.

Good luck getting your license!

Last edited:
I have been into 11 meters for years and due to no dx and little local chatter I am thinking of getting my license but if I do what radio and band do I start with? I have had a few 10 - 12 meter radios in the past that where modified for 11 meters but I never heard anything outside of 11 meters except for 27.455 - 27.605 LSB. I don't want to spend my life savings on a radio and this will be a mobile setup that will be added next to my Uniden 980 SSB. I have been using hamtestonline.com for about 2 hours a day for 2 weeks and plan to test in the end of March.
Go for your general at the same time. The following chart is all you get to use on the technician level.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Tech Band Chart/Tech Band Chart.pdf

The general opens all of this for you:
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Band Chart - 11X17 Color.pdf
Plenty of radios available for most of the bands. I have not been above two meters so I can't say anything about that.

Last edited:
There is always the used market and some nice older radio's can be bought there. The Kenwood TS-50 is a good choice for a true mobile HF radio and usually sells for $500 or less. The Icom 706 and 7000 are good but will cost more.
This is usually my route, I like buying used older rigs (hey I like tubes). If you want new the aforementioned Yaesu 450 is a good choice or even the ICOM 718 although it would be hard to beat a Kenwood TS-830, Yaesu Ft-102 or ICOM IC-735.

Reactions: BammBamm
Nice older rigs but he's looking for a mobile.
Missed that part.
Mobile is a whole other issue, Yaesu Ft-857d, Icom IC-7000. I would stay away from the ICOM 706 as there are no replacement parts available. If you wanted to run just 10 or 12 meters an export would work but honestly, those bands are dead 90% of the time. Your main issue being mobile will be the antenna, if you want to run V/U only then it's easy but getting into HF mobile is a lot more work and $$$.

With propagation down, the higher bands above 20 MHz are sporadic at best. This will continue for a while even when the next solar cycle begins in 2019.

Even the bands below 20 MHz aren't great with long Dx but are workable and stateside prop is still there.

A good starting radio for HF is the Yaesu 450D, it's a bit large for a mobile but many people do use it as such. There is also the Yaesu 891 which is a mobile HF radio.

Good luck getting your license!
i agree the 450d is a good starter radio.

I plan to test my way up until I fail..or pass. I do drive a 2017 Ram quad cab so I have quite a bit of room for a radio and I do have the AC outlet on the dash. I did find a co worker who's father is licensed and he said that due to solar cycle to try

For HF in the mobile, I favor 40 meters. You will usually find activity, regardless of skip conditions found on other bands. Check into one of the following Nets sometime. These friendly day time nets cater to the mobiles as a priority. Among other things,they will let you know how well your setup is doing. Being you're in the Chicago area, Mid Cars would be a perfect choice for starters.

Mid Cars Amateur Radio Service is on 7.258 KHz
East Cars is on 7.258 KHz.
South Cars is on 7.251 KHz.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.