• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinion on Copper.com's "expand, align and tune"

tune up

NO NO NO, they have no technicians to say, just the sales manager guys..you do better by reading this forum and do it yourself.

DOCTOR/795

Reactions: 4 people
Had a voyage that they did years back and it was a good radio. Would I recommend them? Probably not as I prefer Al at Sparky's work better. For some reason my current Galaxy dx949 seems to have MUCH better receive and more modulation than that old Voyage. And that Voyage was swinging about 35 watts and this Galaxy is only like 20-22 watts and would walk all over the voyage. I often wonder what A Voyage VR9000 from Al @ Sparky's peaked tuned and converted would do. :confused: Maybe someday I'll find out but money is tight in my world and uncle Sam and Obama want it right now!:cry:

if you get a rci29?? and they don't do the expand and align you don't get the e-chip

I couldn't f'ing believe it when I heard about that! You have to pay them (50 bucks for the bases, I think) to plug in a little part and twist the mod pot all the way open, or they will keep a vital part of YOUR radio! What crooks!

Do they do a good job, is it worth the extra $$$?

I have no experience with a Copper Tuneup but if it's anything like their customer service, find another tech to do it. You can find tuneup info on any radio by using google.
The Copper tuneup is probably better than a Radioactive Radio Super or Mega Wackpack or whatever they arer calling it now.

Do they do a good job, is it worth the extra $$$?

I recentlly purchased a rci 2970n2 from coppers because it was the cheepest place (even with the expand and shipping) and when I got it, from what i could tell the only thing they actually do is expand....there is no align and tune....but like someone else already said, if you want your e chip you pay the extra....I had to turn up the modulation myself, every thing else seems to be factory set and I wouldnt change a thing...it preforms beautifully,it swings 300 on ssb, and dk's 100 swining 200 on am (at max output) I get great reports on ssb and am even with the stock mike, and they shipped it to me very quickly....so on that note, i have to say i would give them my business again....(y)

I would not let them touch my toaster much less a radio. I view them as a necessary evil, some things are good to buy there others are not. I would never buy a radio from them because the money you save will just get ate up in their inflated shipping costs and having to pay a real tech to tune the radio correctly.

Reactions: 2 people
I would not let them touch my toaster much less a radio. I view them as a necessary evil, some things are good to buy there others are not. I would never buy a radio from them because the money you save will just get ate up in their inflated shipping costs and having to pay a real tech to tune the radio correctly.

I remember when a bunch of Cbers were accusing Copper of selling factory refurbished radios as new. I never had a problem with a radiuo bought from Copper.....just disrespectful customer service idiots.

Reactions: Brandon Burchfield
I don't know about Copper's or any other on line store, but I do know about H & Y Electronics. Bought one of the Magnum S45HP's, had them do the conversion and a tune & peak, Just sent it to RF Limited to have it fixed. H&Y sent it to me dead key of 2 watts on low and 25+ on high, max recommended on high is 18 watts. When I sent it back to them it took 2 weeks for them to return to me with no AM output. I talk to Mr. Sam Lewis at RF Limited, told him my story and he had me send it to him to be repaired. I know he had a talk with the tech at H&Y, not sure what was said, but the tech didn't sound happy when I talked to him. I don't usually do any kind of post, but I wanted to relay my experience so maybe it will help someone else.
Thanks,
Gascap

Maybe we need an H&Y similar thread. A good friend bought a new Galaxy 2517 base from them...paid for the peak/tune and an apparently bad job was done of it. Radio sounds crappy and with less than advertised output.

h&y and copper are basically the same company.

copper was the dad's business and HY is the son's business.

for all other intents and purposes, they are the same place.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.