• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinion on Copper.com's "expand, align and tune"

I remember that. But right quick after a bad experence many went right into the trash. Had they started in the days of the net things would have been quite different.lol

in all fairness, i haven't bought a RADIO from copper since they got their 1st shipment of blue mosfet 257's. i think i bought 7 or 8 of them in a 3 month period. 1 problem, & that was 2 years after HARD mobile use. i bought & personally used 2 omega's & re-sold several more, 2 EARLY S9's-for personal use & probably a dozen resales with no problems, delta forces....now that was a problem. sam took ALL of them i bought-maybe 15-and had the updates done, you all remember the 1st ones that had front end overload nearly rattle the radio off the shelf with S5 signals 30 channels away...hardly anybody's fault....other then magnum's, countless galaxy's, superstars & connex's were bought & resold from the late 80's til around 2000. oh yea i did have trouble with 1 jfk, but that may have come from h&y. as for uniden grants....i practically furnished a trucking company with those radios during the 90's, at least 30, plus maybe 10 more from 'firefighters' in hempstead ny-when he felt like matching coppers price. i had not 1 single problem with any of them-ever. and i modded every single one for channels, slide & many had the xl owners group entire list added. how many more grants did i buy from copper in the mid 90's-i dunno but i have receipts for probably 40 or 50 more. all before the internet was what it is today.
if EVERYBODY else had a problem with EVERY single radio ever bought there & i had none....still wondering why i can't win the lottery.

during the 90's, cobra & uniden were HUGE. they were leaders in the domestic electronics industry, manufacturing EVERYTHING from phones, to all types of radios & plenty more electronics. walmart sold more cobra 29's then copper & h&y combined, if i remember sears also sold more then copper & h&y, on a yearly basis. their prices were comparative. a1 telecom was trying to become a big player in the cb market & wasn't too happy that they couldn't get the same deals as copper & h&y. sears & k marts customers, & most other 'brick & mortar' retailers customers were NOT modifying their radios. coppers, h&y's, a1's, bill's, & the rest of the cb shops were MOSTLY mail order, MOST catered to freebanders & other illicit users. THEY were the people who butchered many a radio. did copper try return them to cobra & uniden? of course. ANY retail business is beseiged by returned items with the customers claim of 'factory damages'. i have been in retail for nearly 40 years. not 1 single day has gone by-even my days off-where SOMEBODY has tried to return some item that they 'bought like this' when you know they didn't. smart retailers have an agreement with their suppliers regarding returned items, most of the time it includes 'for ANY reason'. when you exceed your limit, they tell you no more returns. or the next year they re-negotiate your agreement. you want a good cost, you ain't returning so many items. you wanna return more items? you're gonna pay more somewhere-maybe you'll hafta re-sell 'em as refurbs. well if that happened, copper & h&y woulda been forced to show a disclaimer, had they not, cobra & uniden woulda revoked their sales agreement. there was no way cobra or uniden would have risked their reputations for somebody selling their cb's.

so much for that....all my 1st post was about was....copper does no 'dust mods', no superdupernuclear wackpaks or ANY MODIFICATION to ANY radio they sell. they ONLY expand exports to cb freqs. and i even said i highly doubt they actually 'peak, tune & align' ANYTHING. if you don't want to open up your brand new export & modify it to cb cuz you don't know how, feel free to pay copper thirty bucks to do it. i'd ask them to do it before i trusted dustin or some other bozo...that's all my 1st post was about ;)

I won't do anymore business with Copper. Here's the deal.

Expand, align, tune = Snip, do nothing, turn VR5 fully counterclockwise.

I think that sums up what you get or don;t get for your $30.

Reactions: 2 people
I won't do anymore business with Copper. Here's the deal.

Expand, align, tune = Snip, do nothing, turn VR5 fully counterclockwise.

I think that sums up what you get or don;t get for your $30.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! my point 100%!!!! so that means to me that YOU are fully capable of performing that task & you have some tolerance for risk....risk that YOU screw something up. there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that. & there is also ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with somebody else choosing to pay the $30 because THEY don't feel comfortable removing the screws. as long as they understand that they ARE getting the 'snip & turn' and probably you are correct on the 'do nothing' part for their $30!!!! that's what i said!!!
i did this from 1976 til just a few years ago. the internet put me out of business. people paid me, i ordered their radio cuz they were afraid of.....i'm not sure what, but they were...& i received their radio. depending on how much business they did with me, sometimes the expand/snip cost them 25 bucks, sometimes it cost them nothing. i had a clear conscience :) if copper said 'expand = $30' then this thread would've had no reason for being.

There services state: expand, align and tune. To the average schmo, that means they have the covers off twisting and turning things to ensure the radio is within specs.

Reactions: 1 person
.....remember, copper DOESN'T modify radios for performance, so if i didn't want to expand mine to 11m, i'd have no qualms over paying for 'expansion' and take 'align & tune' with a grain of salt.

that was my reply to the original 2 year old post. remember the brady bunch....caveat emptor. they DON'T MODIFY, they do expand, & if we tell whoever asks, average schmo or not, YOU AINT GETTING THE ALIGN, it's up to them to pay $30 if they don't wanna take out the screws themselves.

ive bought 2 new radios from copper
1]galaxy 99v [last batch ]
2]magnum omegaforce
both had thier expand and tune . both WERE expanded . but neither was tuned
or snipped. which im glad they DIDNT snip anything cause that would been
something else i would have get fixed. took both radios to my tech and got a REAL
tune and no snip -snip.in conclusion if ya got some soldering skills you could do
it yourself, however without proper tuning equiment scope,freq. counter,sig generator,ect
im not sure how anyone could properly tune one.so i say i buy one from copper
DONT get so called expand and tune ,take that 30 bucks and have it tuned
by someone ya trust or know that does good work.

The large amount of posts about the missing E-chip from the 29xx radios has told me all I need to know about them. That's simple childish behavior.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess all the testimonials of people that have screwed up radios from Coppers shitty peak and tunes are all participants in the conspiracy.

Cobra isn't going to do anything other than politely nudge a company likely that to comply. They order to many radios. It's like biting the hand that feeds you.

I can see that your a Copper fan boy of the highest order, for that, I applaud you.

Nobody's gonna make you see the light, that's for damned sure.

Another nice young lady that gave RA#'s for warranty returns (different company) went to high school with my wife, (many here have talked to her) I have talked to her many times. The high rate of returns were discussed. I guess she's lying to me as well.

I think a few techs on here can vouch for the "turn everything wide open tune" radios that people bring to them to fix.

The Best thing One can do..
With Regards to copper,,

Is Steer Completely clear of them.
That is the Only way One can Avoid Problems with them..

Back in the 80's and in early 2000"s.
I was screwed by them
( I never should have given them a 2ed chance..and there is No way on this Earth they will get a 3rd chance From Me )

Unfortunately i know many people
(both personally and through word of mouth )
Who also have had issues as well with copper ..

Just my 2 cents !!

Where's Sparky...

Had a voyage that they did years back and it was a good radio. Would I recommend them? Probably not as I prefer Al at Sparky's work better. For some reason my current Galaxy dx949 seems to have MUCH better receive and more modulation than that old Voyage. And that Voyage was swinging about 35 watts and this Galaxy is only like 20-22 watts and would walk all over the voyage. I often wonder what A Voyage VR9000 from Al @ Sparky's peaked tuned and converted would do. :confused: Maybe someday I'll find out but money is tight in my world and uncle Sam and Obama want it right now!:cry:

Ah, sorry to burst your bubble BammBamm but Al and Sparky's have disappeared... Sparkys CB Shack Forum • View topic - What happened to Sparky?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.