• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinions on Service Monitors

Geekster

Aug 15, 2005
Kentucky
techniciantimes.blogspot.com
Greetings forum!

I am considering a purchase of a used service monitor. If I move forward, I would be looking for one with a built-in spectrum analyzer, Sinad, Signal, deviation, and RF Generator, wattmeter with a 100watt input peak capability. This would be used for two-way radio calibration and repair for frequencies of 1MHz up to 1GHz. I would like to have a unit as new as possible that could be calibrated via a certified facility, say like Sypris in Dayton Ohio.

Let's assume the working budget is $1500-$2000.

With that preface, what would you recommend by first-hand experience or what you have used while in the field. I have been looking at eBay and found a few within that price range, but may be headed to Hamvention to investigate further.

Thanks for your time...

http://www.google.com/search?source...6-01,GGLG:en&q="service+monitor"+radio+-cisco

I wouldn't touch anything like this from eBay unless it was a local seller so I could actually see the unit and verify that it worked.

Your budget is pretty thin for a Service Monitor. You may be able to find used stuff (as on eBay), but be prepared to spend at least as much on repairs that will be necessary BEFORE you can get it calibrated.

There are places that sell used test equipment, many of which will make the repairs to equipment you buy from them. Some of them are certified calibration labs as well.

here you go

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330223309608&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

this is almost exactly the same as the hp8920 service monitors. the main difference is that hp8924 was designed for cdma use (cell phone). it also has another row of buttons and does not have a carring handle as it was designed to mount in a rack for manufacturing use. cdma is almost a thing of the past, so these units sale cheap. paul is a good guy and you don't have to worry about him sending you junk. we have a hp8920, ifr1600s, and a moto 2600c. of the three, i like the hp8920 the best.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.